Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

toddler cough....

(17 Posts)
angelpuffs Fri 16-Oct-15 19:08:13

Does anyone have any suggestions to help get rid of a toddlers cough at night? Since she started nursery she's had the usual run of colds, and coughs a bit during the day, but seems to mainly be bothered with a cough at night time. I've tried raising the mattress at her head end, rubbing Vick on her chest, giving her calpol, putting Vick and socks on her feet but last night she coughed so forcibly that she made herself sick. She's then cranky the next day because she's lost out on overnight sleep. Any ideas welcome- thanks confused

captaincake Fri 16-Oct-15 21:10:43

I would stop the vicks. Does she had a drink of water available in the night?

angelpuffs Fri 16-Oct-15 21:26:35

Yes, she has water available. Why would you stop the Vicks?

captaincake Fri 16-Oct-15 21:35:57

It can irritate and cause more mucus to be produced making it worse and in the worst cases respiratory distress. It shouldn't really be used at all in under 2s.

Maybe a warm drink of milk in the night might soothe, and a long warm bath before bed the steam might help.

captaincake Fri 16-Oct-15 21:36:37

I hope she feels better soon it's so horrid when they're ill and can't sleep sad

angelpuffs Fri 16-Oct-15 21:41:55

She's 2 and a half so thought Vicks wood be ok. Have been advised to cut back on milk as it produces more mucus- argh! You never know what to do for the best with little ones!!

ProfessorPickles Fri 16-Oct-15 21:47:35

My 2 year old recently had a bad cough and the only thing that helped was a vapour oil type thing, forgot the name! Where you leave a bowl of hot water (in a safe place!) with drops of the oil in. Worked a treat for us!

captaincake Fri 16-Oct-15 21:49:21

Oh yes dairy does that sorry forgot. Another warm drink? I like a hot toddy myself but that probably isn't a good idea!

I know it's really horrid I never know what to do for the best feel so helpless when my lb is ill. Bloody virus's angry

angelpuffs Fri 16-Oct-15 21:55:35

Have tried bowl of water- problem is it cools within half an hour! I've ordered a humidifier which is arriving tomorrow so fingers crossed. A friend suggested warm honey lemon and ginger drink- might give that a go. It's me that needs the hot toddy!! X

captaincake Fri 16-Oct-15 22:44:28

Sounds nice. You could make a hot milky drink with a milk alternative like soya or oat. Hope the humidifier helps.

MintChocAddict Fri 16-Oct-15 22:49:44

Adenoids? DC had this and after many failed antibiotics, suspected asthma etc it turned out to be enlarged adenoids which was causing the coughing at night. Maybe worth looking into if nothing else working.

Scarletforya Fri 16-Oct-15 22:53:08

Has she been checked for asthma?

Night time coughing is very characteristic of it. Especially seasonal asthma which is starting now.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 17-Oct-15 20:02:39

It has taken a long time to get my sons night time coughing under control, diet, chemical irritants, etc PM me if you want more info. He is sensitive to petroleum in Vicks but essential oils help especially Blue Tansy, Lavendar, Ravintsara, Pine on feet hands back and chest. (Eucalyptus should be used with caution under 2)

angelpuffs Sat 17-Oct-15 20:15:51

Thanks everyone. She's quite feverish today and tired from being up in the night. In taking her to the doctors on Monday so will ask the doctor about adenoids and asthma. Seems like a bad cold- but how don you know when it's not just a cold but something more serious...? Am trying a humidifier in her room for the first time tonight. X

Hopelass Sat 17-Oct-15 20:25:29

A humidifier is a good idea. My ds suffers from bad coughs when he gets colds and has been prescribed an inhaler to help with his night time cough and it does help. You're doing the right thing going to the GP though thanks

CoodleMoodle Sat 17-Oct-15 20:41:47

Our humidifier is a lifesaver! If I've got the same cold it helps me breathe as well if and when DD ends up in our room.

Just remember that in the morning the room will probably smell damp and horrible. Our windows are usually sopping wet if we have it on overnight.

angelpuffs Sat 17-Oct-15 20:54:37

Am really hoping the humidifier makes a difference! I'm sure we'll be going in before the morning when she wakes in the night, so will have chance to air room then confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now