Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS's hands and face contort when he runs or gets up quickly

(12 Posts)
PrincessMarcheline Fri 16-Oct-15 14:33:00

He doesn't have any condition, but as I said in the title, when he runs or gets up quickly, his hands and face contort. He looks like he has cerebral palsy, but only for a few seconds. He is very conscious of it.

Any ideas what this can be? Thanks.

PrincessMarcheline Sat 17-Oct-15 06:20:34

I have Googled, but this is all I can find:

www.doctorslounge.com/neurology/forums/backup/topic-31067.html

Imnotaslimjim Sat 17-Oct-15 06:59:22

That sounds very upsetting for him, especially if he is very aware of it. I couldn't even guess at what it could be, but it does sound like you could do with showing the Dr. Could you possibly record him on your phone in case he can't replicate it in the Dr's office?

PrincessMarcheline Sat 17-Oct-15 12:22:07

That's a good idea Imnotaslimjim, I might try that before I take him. I just someone has an answer because it's really scary.

BreadAndButter1 Sat 17-Oct-15 19:05:59

I think you need to go to GP and explain the problem and as PP said, a video may support what you're saying. It sounds unusual, perhaps a neurological thing? It definitely needs investigating. It must be worrying for you but best to go to GP and get it sorted out xx

DriverSurpriseMe Sat 17-Oct-15 19:10:15

I think videoing it is a good idea. Has he always done it, or is it a more recent thing?

Heebiejeebie Mon 19-Oct-15 05:45:43

Could it be this? Did his father ever have it? I would ask to see a paediatric neurologist.

Paroxysmal kinesigenic choreoathetosis (PKC) is an autosomal dominant neurologic condition characterized by recurrent and brief attacks of involuntary movement triggered by sudden voluntary movement. These attacks usually have onset during childhood or early adulthood and can involve dystonic postures, chorea, or athetosis. Symptoms become less severe with age and show favorable response to anticonvulsant medications such as carbamazepine or phenytoin. It is the most common type of paroxysmal movement disorder.

PrincessMarcheline Mon 19-Oct-15 16:40:18

That is it! That is it! Heebiejeebie you're a genius! Yes, DH also has it. I have just read the description to DH and he said that is what he has been trying to explain to doctors for 25 years! None of them knew what he was talking about.

I found this after googling PKD and it is so accurate: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paroxysmal_kinesigenic_choreoathetosis

Thank you so much. We are going to the doctors armed with this info and hopefully we will get some medication for DS.

I love Mumsnet - you girls really do know everything grin.

Heebiejeebie Mon 19-Oct-15 20:07:27

So glad it sounds right to you and your husband (and that it's such a benign thing)! The GMC takes a very dim view of internet diagnosis, so I'm always a bit wary, please do go and see someone properly.

PrincessMarcheline Tue 20-Oct-15 03:22:01

DH will take him to the doctors with the info we found so that he can explain properly.

The thing I am puzzled about is that DH also has epilepsy and he thinks the 2 conditions are related, but i can't find anything linking the two, other than them being similar conditions...

Heebiejeebie Tue 20-Oct-15 13:01:20

What kind of epilepsy does he have?

PrincessMarcheline Tue 20-Oct-15 15:38:52

Grand Mal Epilepsy, but he has only had 3 fits in his life. He is on medication for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now