Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler DS's toenail has fallen off

(6 Posts)
alteredimages Fri 25-Sep-15 11:08:27

Just noticed now that DS is missing a toenail on the fourth toe on his left foot. E did bash that toe a couple of weeks ago, but the nail seemed OK. Today there is nothing at all there. Will it ever grow back, and is there anything I need to do to prevent infection in the meantime?

It looks really freaky. Ugh!

TyrionLannistersShadow Fri 25-Sep-15 11:28:12

If it fell off itself and the 'skin' there is dry and intact then it will grow back itself and there's no need to do anything with it. We have had 3 toenails here fall off between 2 children and it looks weird for a while but does eventually, very slowly, grow back!

Arsenalfan06 Fri 25-Sep-15 11:30:24

My dad lost both big toenail at the same time after an accident .
Thankfully both grew back lovely .

Arsenalfan06 Fri 25-Sep-15 11:30:49

My dd not dad.

alteredimages Sat 26-Sep-15 12:59:24

Sorry, reply didn't post.

Thanks ArsenalFan and TyrionLannistersShadow! DS seems unperturbed and all seems OK. It does look like it will take a while to grow back, as there is absolutely nothing there!

alteredimages Mon 09-Nov-15 22:13:47

Just an update, the toenail has now grown back and looks fine, though perhaps a little flatter than it was. Still none the wiser as to why it fell off, but it has grown back much more quickly than I expected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now