Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Newborn and coldsores

(3 Posts)
Sodabread Thu 10-Sep-15 04:08:44

I had a baby last week, and on day two my toddler became a little unwell, had sore throat and runny nose etc. I thought this would not be great for baby so tried to limit contact a bit, but the first day my toddler had kissed her baby sister and cuddled her.

By day 4, my toddler had red marks on her cheek and so I took her to gp. Gp thought it was her first outbreak of the coldsore virus. She took swabs and also suggested my newborn is tested.

I have since read up on all the dangers of cold sores in newborns and am panicking. I took my newborn to a and e, last night as I was worried about her drowsiness and gp said this could be a sign of her getting ill. The a and e dr said that she was fine, but to remain alert for drowsiness.

I now think I have a coldsore, which I have had several of before, but feeling panicked about risk of infection. I'm trying to minimise contact between the two girls, there is no kissing or sharing of food/drinks/ plates. I am also hand washing frequently but am finding it hard to enjoy this time, because of nature of the risk.

Does anyone have any experiences of this?

SheldonsSpotOnTheCouch Thu 10-Sep-15 14:54:21

Isn't it the case that if you get coldsores yourself you pass antibodies onto baby during birth (and bf if you are) which gives some protection in the early days? I'm sure I read that when I was worrying about my baby being in contact with someone with a coldsore. I've never haf one so that made me panic even more.

amarmai Sat 19-Sep-15 23:42:53

i beleive you will have passed on this thru your blood to your cc. And in turn your mother passed it on to you. People have a variety of ways to limit/cure them when they erupt. Google and see what you want to try and check with your dr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now