Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Skin on thumb from sucking.

(13 Posts)
captaincake Fri 04-Sep-15 18:36:07

I'm a little concerned about the skin on DS's thumb. He is very attached to sucking it but the skin now seems to be suffering. Is there anything I can do? Any tips on stopping a thumb sucker or keeping the skin in good condition? I tried to get a picture - it doesn't show it very well but it gives an idea. The bottom crease looks to be close to breaking sad

SpottyTeacakes Fri 04-Sep-15 18:39:15

How old is he? Dd used to suffer terribly. Vaseline was great but she was able to not suck her thumb when I first put it on. She's just stopped of her own accord aged five. Ds is also a thumb sucker confused

catzpyjamas Fri 04-Sep-15 18:40:48

You could try painting on something that tastes horrible like Mavala
I am ordering some for DD!

HarlettOScara Fri 04-Sep-15 18:41:14

Lansinoh is great for chapped thumbs and is obviously non toxic should they continue to suck.

SpottyTeacakes Fri 04-Sep-15 19:18:15

Good idea Harlett

TheEagle Fri 04-Sep-15 19:19:57

Thank you for that tip harlett

My 23mo's thumb is getting very dry and sore looking and didn't know how to help. Lansinoh to the rescue smile

captaincake Fri 04-Sep-15 19:24:23

Thanks for the replies. He is 15m. I think I still have some lansinoh left over from breastfeeding - will give that a go. I was going get a dr thumb when he's old enough for sticker charts/rewards but he's just so highly attached to his thumb for comfort I can't see it stopping soon. Maybe I could try it sooner, or maybe the mavala first. DH suggested trying a dummy but I can't see that working now that he knows about his thumb.

MissesandMuddles Fri 04-Sep-15 19:26:17

I bought this, reviews sounded quite positive but it didn't work for us:

www.amazon.co.uk/Charlies-Thumb-Runa-Mowla-Copley/dp/0992671906

He actually sat and sucked his thumb whilst I read it to him!

Now trying this, ordered today:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00336WT3O/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

SpottyTeacakes Fri 04-Sep-15 19:27:56

I thought dd would never stop but she did! I definitely think he's too young to understand. Ds used to pull his hair out when he sucked his thumb and dd used to scratch her face she had a scab continuously for over a year! You could also try putting the cream on once he's asleep and his thumb is out of his mouth

captaincake Fri 04-Sep-15 19:48:08

Very good idea Spotty I will sneak in and put cream on in a minute. Only have sudocrem at the moment will give it a try. Or I have his doublebase for his mild eczema might that be a better choice? I am going to order a dr thumb and give it a go, we can always try again if no luck.

captaincake Sun 06-Sep-15 17:54:54

It's worse now and we asked a pharmacist today. He says that it is ok but can't get any worse and he MUST stop sucking it. I ordered a dr thumb on friday but don't know how long that will take to arrive - it hasn't been dispatched yet. The pharmacist sent us away with a bandage and tape and instructions to keep it slathered in sudocrem and covered to prevent sucking. The bandage and tape lasted a couple of hours. DS is very angry sad any tips on keeping a 15mo distracted from thumb sucking for several days till the dr thumb arrives? He's currently sat on DH's lap watching a dvd with DH stopping him sucking and getting himself shouted at. We've bought a dummy but DS seems to be under the impression that it is for us to suck and keeps shoving it in our mouths hmm

Also, how much wine will I be needing to get through this week? grin

Kidsrulethishouse Mon 26-Oct-15 21:26:07

Just wondering how you are getting on? My 3yo is a thumb sucker and we have been trying unsuccessfully to get her to stop for over a year.

captaincake Fri 30-Oct-15 23:20:22

Not good I'm afraid. The Dr thumb was a waste of money we adjusted it as much as we could following the instructions and he could still remove it with relative ease. The bandage and tape fared even worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now