Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

any tips for helping with ear ache??

(10 Posts)
ffffffedup Fri 14-Aug-15 03:40:34

Ds (8) has woken up screaming in pain with ear ache. Apart from giving him some calpol is there anything else I can do to help him?

He suffered a lot with ear infections as a baby he had glue ear he had grommets put in when he was 4 and it stopped overnight. I think maybe the grommets have fallen out now as his hearing isn't the best and now the ear aches are starting again sad

sleepwhenidie Fri 14-Aug-15 05:30:12

sad Have you tried nurofen? For my DS who sounds similar to yours, this is much more effective.

We also have a wheat bag that is worth getting hold of for next time - it seems to provide some comfort, I put a few drops of lavender oil on it. Does he have a temperature?

sleepwhenidie Fri 14-Aug-15 05:31:18

I've also been reading a lot recently about nasal balloons being great for glue ear, maybe worth asking GP about this?

ffffffedup Fri 14-Aug-15 10:36:06

sleep it was ibuprofen I gave him it took him a while to settle back off to sleep. He said there was water coming out of his ear this morning. He seems ok so far today. I'll invest in a wheat bag in case of future ear aches. I'm going to get him referred back to audiology as I've noticed his hearing isn't too great or he just bloody ignores me

sleepwhenidie Fri 14-Aug-15 13:57:42

Is it definitely water (from swimming?) If he has temperature and fluid coming out of his ear then definitely get him to gp - DS2 had an urgent referral to ENT hospital last month and they said they would only prescribe AB's if this was the situation, despite the fact that he was guzzling nurofen to deal with the pain and not eating/sleeping much hmm. Ended up back there again out of hours five days later and got strong AB's. We are back for allergy and hearing testing in September. My DS was totally deaf with the latest infection, he isn't great at the best of times but he was pretty much lip reading!

ffffffedup Fri 14-Aug-15 14:15:44

He's no temperature and has been eating & drinking no problem. His ears have started to hurt again he's had ibuprofen and gone to bed which is unlike him to sleep in the day

FretYeNotAllIsShiny Fri 14-Aug-15 14:19:46

If you can't get out to buy a wheat bag, you can make a simple one with an adult sock and dry rice. Just pour rice into the sock and knot, warm in the microwave for a minute or so.

I'd get him checked out if there's fluid coming out of his ear.

sleepwhenidie Fri 14-Aug-15 17:07:17

It's so frustrating that they always seem worst at night! Hope he feels better for the weekend. flowers

Kangaroosjump Fri 14-Aug-15 17:13:30

Onion... Seriously... Chop an onion and give him a slither for each ear, obviously long enough that it doesn't get stuck

It will instantly reduce pain

ffffffedup Fri 14-Aug-15 19:38:42

Thanks kanga I'll try anything once grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now