Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Umbilical Hernia

(4 Posts)
MumOfOne14 Wed 12-Aug-15 21:27:43

Does anyone have any experience with this?? I'm pretty sure my 9month old DS has one. He's had a squidgy belly button for a while but being a first time mum I didn't know what it was. I can push it in & then it pops back out when he moves again. I'm so gutted for him 😢 I any experiences or advice would be great!!!

Vinnyinny Fri 14-Aug-15 19:37:33

Hi- my DS had an Umbilical Hernia. It was quite large. I could push it in and it would pop out again. It went on its own once his stomach muscles strengthened. The GP wasn't concerned and said that he would have the option of surgery after he turned 2 if it didn't go away. I was worried at the time too, but realise at was probably just my anxiety. The reality is that they are unlikely to cause problems. Hope that helps smile

BumWad Sat 15-Aug-15 09:52:27

My 3 month old has an umbilical hernia. Paediatrician was unconcerned and said it would go on its own by the time he was a year old once his stomach muscles have strengthened.

AnxiousAggie Sun 16-Aug-15 22:38:33

My ds had one too. It wasn't particularly large but it popped out a lot when he cried. It also felt squelchy when i pressed it in. It made me feel a bit queasy! One day i just noticed that it had gone in. I'm sure it didn't really happen overnight but it seemed that way. The gp was unconcerned.

If it doesn't go in by itself i think it can be easily corrected with surgery. Hopefully it won't come to that for your dc though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now