Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yr old having circumcision

(10 Posts)
Lousmith1990 Wed 12-Aug-15 14:23:18

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me. My 3year old son is having a circumcision in two weeks time. Is there anything I can do after his operation to ease his pain, my mother has suggested salt water baths.

amarmai Wed 12-Aug-15 23:07:10

better to ask the doctor at the time. Best wishes for a good recovery.

WalfordEast Wed 12-Aug-15 23:12:47

grabs popcorn, turns off phone, accepts I wont be leaving the house for at least 24 hours

Pantone363 Wed 12-Aug-15 23:13:23

Is he having it done at the hospital? At ours they had about 6 boys all on the same day. They went in age order, from about 3 to 16.

DS went first and came back screaming (mostly from grogginess). As soon as he woke up enough he was fine. Usual painkillers.

LovesYoungDream Wed 12-Aug-15 23:16:18

Ice packs to bring down swelling after op

Pantone363 Wed 12-Aug-15 23:24:22

Walford DS's was medical not for cosmetic or cultural reasons. All the other boys were medical too.

Consultant thoroughly vetted the parents to make sure they weren't trying it on for a free unnecessary circumsicion.

BoysiesBack Wed 12-Aug-15 23:42:53

My DS was circumcised (for medical reasons) a few years ago. We were told not to let him bathe for a couple of days afterwards so salt bath not a good idea.

DS had a local anaesthetic so wasn't sore immediately after waking from the GA, but make sure you have a decent stock of paracetamol and ibuprofen for when that wears off and lots of books, stickers, colouring stuff, DS games, DVDs etc to keep him still yet entertained for a few days, moving around was very painful but distractions help smile

Good luck to your DS.

Lousmith1990 Thu 13-Aug-15 00:07:20

Thank you all for your advise my son is having it done for medical reasons too. Think I will voice my concerns when we go for the pre op as he was booked in today for the op in two weeks

Etak15 Thu 13-Aug-15 16:16:47

"Consultant thoroughly vetted the parents to make sure they weren't trying it on for a free unnecessary circumsicion.

I can't see many gp's making a referral to a consultant surgeon for anything unnecessary?

Pantone363 Thu 13-Aug-15 21:37:15

I think you'd be surprised. Consultant told us he hardly does circumsicions anymore, most boys he sees are sent away to watch and wait

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now