Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

9wo screaming in pain during feed

(21 Posts)
pinkie1982 Sun 09-Aug-15 13:54:24

First time mum here. My 9 week baby was 6 weeks premature. He had his 2 month jabs on Monday last week. The last three days he has started screaming in pain after drinking an ounce or two, not bringing up much wind and when he does it is a small amount and sometimes sicky, which it wasn't before. He will then cry when I try to reintroduce the bottle but he is still hungry trying to drink it but crying and pushing it away again then sucking his hand or arm.
He has thrush in his mouth that I took him to the Drs for over a week ago and he is on medication for this but it hasn't cleared up. He is blowing saliva bubbles and crying in his sleep.
I don't know whether to take him to the walk in centre or wait and try to get an emergency appt tomorrow morning. I'm worried that he is only taking an ounce or two at a time in this heat. Or phone the HV. On a Sunday?
I don't know whether it is silent reflux or something else. Should I try calpol?
He also has a hernia on his belly button which HV has said not to worry about and I've noticed this morning an extra lump in his testicle. Could these also be causing pain? I think it's his stomach that is the feeding problem rather than the thrush.
He has a drs appointment a week Tuesday as this was the soonest I could book an actual appointment for.
TIA for advice!

Duggee Sun 09-Aug-15 14:01:58

I would see someone as soon as you can. All those things on their own would worry me let alone all together! Can you try syringe feeding to top up?

AnxiousAggie Sun 09-Aug-15 15:13:08

I think if a 9 week old is as distressed as you've described and not drinking milk he needs to be seen. I'd get him to ooh or a&e if i were you.

pinkie1982 Sun 09-Aug-15 16:07:15

He is finally asleep. After two exploding poohs. I managed to get an ounce of water into him so he has had a bit more fluid. Nappies are still wet. the stopping drinking after being winded started when he got thrush but the crying has got worse and worse then he started not being able to tolerate the bottle but wants it at the same time. I think I will let him have a sleep, he hasn't disturbed himself yet. If he does I will take him to the walk centre to be in the safe side.

Kitty149j Sun 09-Aug-15 16:41:07

Mine wasn't premature but after 4 weeks of being perfect baby (after forceps very quick birth) and me wondering why people found newborns so difficult- boy did I find out.....BIG time. Colic. I tried every preparation going (was total b/feeding) but from 12 noon to 12 midnight my DS screamed blue murder....if he was an adult he'd have lost his voice by the 3rd day! After two weeks of constant screaming and me ready to deck the next person that suggested over knee/shoulder/hit the bottle (me not DS) - I finally gave in and tried cranial osteopathy for him. Why did I wait for so long....the very first session he instantly relaxed 1/2 way through and slept for 5 hours then had a 6 hour sleep session later at night. He had 6 courses and was back to my sunny baby I brought home from hospital. Apparently nerves can get strained in neck in quick births and affect tummy area digestion. If you're getting the colicky spasms a lot - I say go for it - it would have saved me a fortune in colic drops (and my sanity!)!

pinkie1982 Sun 09-Aug-15 16:55:35

Really? I've never heard of that. Yes I was induced and from my first pain it was an hour and 27 mins until he entered the world by ventouse. I had the same. For almost 8 weeks an easy baby. Eat, sleep, pooh. That was it. No crying or problems until last week.

Kitty149j Sun 09-Aug-15 23:19:29

Sounds a bit like the dreaded Colic (and yes the nappies are to be believed lol)......find a practitioner that does newborn cranial osteopathy - my midwife friend recommended I go to one and because I'd tried every other lotion, potion and trick in the book to no result - I felt I had nothing to lose.......boy it was worth it. Also see if your local children's centre is running a course on baby massage - my LO loved it and it also helped relax him for bed so less colicky build up then too......hope your LO settles down soon for you x

pinkie1982 Sun 09-Aug-15 23:26:26

Thanks. My baby massage course starts in two weeks time.
I managed to get 4oz of nutriprem (his usual amount) and 1.5oz water into him between 7 and 8pm.
Then I put on his nightlight projector (new today) with music and led next to him on the sofa for a while until he settled down. Then at 10pm he wanted more milk. I changed his variflow teat to a medium flow and he took 3.5oz straight down and is now In his basket sleeping.

Bonanna Mon 10-Aug-15 09:21:36

This sounds silent reflux - it can make feeding very painful for them as the stomach acid burns the oesophagus.
I would definitely get it checked out by a doc and treated as it can get worse over time as the 'burns' get more sore. Good luck!

pinkie1982 Mon 10-Aug-15 09:29:52

I have an emergency appointment at 12:10 today. Thanks everyone, I will let you know how I get on

pinkie1982 Mon 10-Aug-15 15:36:25

He has been prescribed infant gaviscon and has to have an ultrasound on his extra lump downstairs

pinkie1982 Sat 15-Aug-15 15:21:37

Hi me again!
So baby is on Gaviscon but it hasn't made a huge difference. He has been on it now for five days.
He constantly blows off which is getting worse and now he is crying in pain when he does it. His dad is lactose intolerant. Could he be too and that's what's causing the silent reflux symptoms and this? His dirty nappies have become more solid- pat-like and yellow instead of all wet and runny.
He is on Nutriprem 2 milk powder which they said he could be on for 6 months. He has built up his weight well from birth so don't think swapping to a different formula should be that big a deal? He is also on his multi vitamins.

He has his scan on Monday and a Drs appt Tuesday so will ask at Drs then if he doesn't get any worse

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 15-Aug-15 15:25:51

Have you tried the cranial osteopath yet? Please do, it can make such a difference.

pinkie1982 Sat 15-Aug-15 16:18:08

Not yet. Can I access this through the NHS or is it private practice?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 15-Aug-15 16:19:40

Pretty sure it's still only private practice, sadly. Some health funds might cover it, but I don't know (and if you're not in one then that's irrelevant anyway).
Some practitioners have a flexible attitude to payment, and will accept what you feel you can afford rather than a flat rate, but that's not the case with all of them.

Si1982 Sat 15-Aug-15 17:01:50

@pinkie1982 did you have any luck?
My LO sounds exactly the same! She's is 6weeks old and bottle fed on cow and gate. She was born 5lb 9oz and in her first few weeks she struggled to feed as wasn't waking and falling asleep during the feed then bringing a lot of it up. Things improved but by week 4 she started crying and arching her back during feeds. Gaviscon didn't work as like your LO she cried even more as it hurt to pass wind and bowel movement leaving her crying to strain. We have also been using colief which I don't think does anything and we're giving her drops for thrush which after 3weeks is no better. We have now been given ranitidine but she seems to be crying much more during feeds than she was previously so wondering if I stop this and explore different formula in case she's got an allergy to it. I'm at my wits end watching her cry in pain and cough and choke and prefer her dummy than her bottle even though she's clearly hungry! Help!

pinkie1982 Sat 15-Aug-15 22:26:52

I've got a number for an osteopath local to me and have a recommendation from a friend for him so that's good. I will call and leave a message tomorrow, the price is less than I thought!
I've stopped the gaviscon and Nutriprem and put him on aptamil to see if there is a difference.

pinkie1982 Sat 15-Aug-15 22:28:31

He has Drs on Tuesday anyway so I'm sure a few days off Nutriprem won't harm him too much if they want him to stay on it.he seems to be gaining around half a lb per week

pinkie1982 Mon 17-Aug-15 14:05:50

Lump down below is a cyst that should resolve itself.

Got an assessment with a cranial osteopath tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks all for the advice

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 17-Aug-15 15:00:23

Hope it goes well, Pinkie! Do let us know how he gets on smile

pinkie1982 Mon 17-Aug-15 17:37:43

Will do.he seems much better in himself today too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now