Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can children get mumps even if had MMR?

(18 Posts)
Theboxtrollsareallowed Sat 08-Aug-15 17:20:55

My son has a swollen painful right cheek. It has been building up over two days. There is no visible signs inside like mouth ulcer or a tooth problem (only at the dentist a week ago). It is painful to touch on the inside & outside. He is 5, had the MMR at the right times, but it seems similar symptoms to Mumps?

So can you get mumps after the MMR?
Or any other suggestions?

Jennifersrabbit Sat 08-Aug-15 17:24:26

Short answer yes you can - the mumps bit of the MMR is only about 80% effective so some will still get it. Measles and rubella more like 99% effective.

That said one cheek only doesn't sound quite right - think mumps would be both at once. TLC over weekend and GP check if no better on Monday, if it was me.

foolonthehill Sat 08-Aug-15 17:30:03

It is possible to get mumps after the MMR as not 100% of people are guaranteed to become immune

...however if the cheek is swollen and painful and no glands around ear or under the jaw line are swollen and he has no high temperature and is not generally unwell this is unlikely...

other possibilities are an infection of the salivary gland (parotitis), trauma (ie a big bump and a bruise) a tooth abscess, of which the first is the most likely. (also allergic reaction/sting, broken bone...but I'm guessing these are ruled out)

Does it get more painful if he eats/drinks milk?

as ever, an internet diagnosis can only get you so far, if he is unwell he should see someone, children's ibuproffen at an appropriate dose will help...the symptoms

KumiOri Sat 08-Aug-15 17:35:10

yes, possible.
some people (quite rarely) do not respond to vaccines so they do not work for them.

Theboxtrollsareallowed Sat 08-Aug-15 17:45:10

Thanks for replies. I have been giving calpol & when it runs out the pain comes back. Only a slight fever so will keep an eye & aim for GP Monday or OOH tomorrow (unless he gets worse).

Nothing visible to see, except on the outside: slightly red & swollen cheek.

Theboxtrollsareallowed Sat 08-Aug-15 17:46:37

Just to add no worse if he drinks & only in one cheek.

LeChien Sat 08-Aug-15 17:58:23

Dd had a salivary gland infection in one side, it sounds similar to this.
Mumps is a possibility (sil and her ds's all had mumps but the boys had all had their MMR), but they were all very poorly, cheeks and neck all swelled up on both sides.

Janek Sat 08-Aug-15 18:09:22

I just looked at google images for mumps, and most of the pictures show people with only one side of their face swollen - have a look and see if that's what your ds looks like.

Theboxtrollsareallowed Sat 08-Aug-15 19:49:27

It does look like some of the images that show one sided swelling. He fell asleep on the sofa about an hour ago - so just going to leave him there till next dose of calpol & see if it's worse/same/better - if redder or more swollen may head to OOH if not will see how it is in the morning.

Why does it seem that they only get ill at the weekend?

mrsnoon Sat 08-Aug-15 19:53:35

I've had mumps and the MMR. My swellings were very definitely in my neck not my cheeks, at its worst my face was swollen up but it was a continuation of the neck swelling rather than my cheeks if you get what I mean.

openthecurtains Sat 08-Aug-15 20:08:26

DS got measles one year after his MMR. It's not 100%.

Theboxtrollsareallowed Sat 08-Aug-15 20:29:12

Just checked him - No temp now, which is the calpol working - but very swollen at the bottom of his cheek/jar bone & General cheek area & red -

My instinct is its fine to wait till tomorrow, but hate seeing him poorly. He has been super poorly in the past & he is my PFB.

Anyway rambling now, thanks for replies & will see what the night/morning bring?

foolonthehill Sat 08-Aug-15 21:34:39

if you have children's nurofen/ibuprofen it will help with the swelling and redness as it is an antiinflammatory as well as a pain killer and fever reducer. It can safely be taken alongside calpol every 8 hours...unless he has any problem with taking it previously.

Hope he sleeps...and you!

Theboxtrollsareallowed Sun 09-Aug-15 09:32:55

Quick update - his face was so much more swollen at 6.30 so I rang 111 & got an appointment at OOH at 7.30. Great GP transferred us to another hospital after speaking to a maxi facial consultant. So driving to a larger hospital & been seen by consultant & now waiting for an x-Ray as it may be an abscess or infection. Worse case operation to drain, best case antibiotics.

Thank you to amazing NHS

Theboxtrollsareallowed Sun 09-Aug-15 12:06:41

Not sure if anyone is about but just a further post - my PFB is having an operation to drain an abscess within an hour...Poor boy - the cheek is so red now & swollen.
OH at home with DS2 -

KumiOri Sun 09-Aug-15 12:53:26

poor ds
hope he feels better soon.

Indantherene Sun 09-Aug-15 12:59:13

Yes. One of mine had mumps, having had MMR.

foolonthehill Sun 09-Aug-15 13:29:24

Poor boy but he will feel so much better afterwards.

all the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now