Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would you take TATT 12 yo to doctors?

(11 Posts)
FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 22:04:06

He was completely exhausted for the last 2-3 weeks of term but I thought that was normal, especially for a child just finishing his first year at secondary, who has to set of early for a longish commute.

However, nearly 3 weeks into the holiday, he's still tired all the time. Taking himself to bed around 8pm and staying there until noon, unless there's something he needs to get up for. Often complaining he's too tired to do things he's usually excited to do.

If I take him to the doctors, what kinds of things should I expect them to investigate?

FadedRed Thu 06-Aug-15 22:08:59

Anything else bothering him? Any other symptoms? Eating and drinking OK? Worried about anything?
A check up by GP would be a good idea, after this length of time he should be over the end of term tiredness. Put your mind at rest.

FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 22:14:16

I don't think he's worried about anything and he doesn't seem ill as such but his diet isn't brilliant. He eats, but he doesn't enjoy food like I do and is quite happy to go without if he doesn't fancy what's offered. I don't think he eats enough meat/dairy/eggs and it wouldn't surprise me if he was deficient in something.

MadauntofA Thu 06-Aug-15 22:18:21

Is he definitely sleeping that long or is he in his room on the computer/ chatting to friends etc? If he really is that tired then definitely a trip to the Gps.

FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 22:20:14

No screens or phones allowed in bedrooms here! If he is staying up later than it seems, he's doing it the old fashioned way with a book and a torch under the covers smile

MadauntofA Thu 06-Aug-15 22:26:01

He might be writing love letters to a new girlfriend?!!! Does sound a bit worrying. Have a chat with him and see if he can come up with a reason and if not explain a trip to the Drs may be in order. It may be something as simple as iron deficiency which can wipe you out. Hope you get it sorted.

FadedRed Thu 06-Aug-15 22:26:15

Might be a bit anaemic, that can lead to tiredness. Trip to GP in order, probably want a blood test to check iron levels and rule out infection/ deficiency related symptoms.

MadauntofA Thu 06-Aug-15 22:27:23

Ask the gp to check his vitamin d levels as well - that can make you feel wiped out.

rebbles Thu 06-Aug-15 22:29:13

I would say definitely take him to GP. They will.probably do a blood test. TMI but what how is his digestive system? does he go every day? I had constipation and extreme tiredness my whole childhood turned out to be coeliac disease didn't find out until I was 25. could be anemia though.

FurtherSupport Thu 06-Aug-15 22:33:46

Interesting rebbles, I don't know the ins and outs like I used to (he just does his business these days!) but we had terrible trouble with toilet training and he often relapsed and soiled himself until he was 8/9.

We have to give up wheat he might actually starve! Hmmm that's not good, is it?

rebbles Thu 06-Aug-15 22:55:19

Haha it is difficult to give up wheat at first but worth it when the symptoms stop. I feel like a different person now. Might be worth mentioning it to the doctor as they can test for he antibodies for that on a blood test too as well as hemoglobin levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now