Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Duplex collecting system

(4 Posts)
LunaLins10 Wed 05-Aug-15 11:36:48

My youngest daughter is 8. Since the beginning of this year she has had 3 urine infections. During this time she was referred for an ultrasound scan, as this is obviously a concern.

The results show she may have a duplex collecting system where she has 2 ureters for her left kidney instead of 1. Apparently she also has scarring, which means, as we've been advised, she was probably born with this and has had urine infections her whole life!

I'm struggling to find any further information and she isn't due to see a consultant until September. None of my friends have heard of it and I'd like to know what treatments she might need or will she need surgery?

Has anyone heard of a duplex collecting system?

Thanks

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 05-Aug-15 15:00:44

My sister has this. A year long course of antibiotics at the age of 9 resolved the infections and she has had no further problems.

Ktmummy1 Wed 05-Aug-15 18:08:26

My mum has this. Her symptom was haematuria. I also have haematuria but no duplex system so may not be related! Never caused any issues x

LunaLins10 Sat 08-Aug-15 10:01:01

Thanks both. I hope my daughter only needs a year long course of antibiotics to get it sorted. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now