Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How do you know when your child has chicken pox ?

(8 Posts)
hideandseekpig Tue 04-Aug-15 19:11:39

My 18 month old dd has a couple of red spot type blotches on the back of her shoulders. That's all none anywhere else. She is fine in herself no temperature or anything. I have absolutely no idea how to spot chicken pox so would appreciate some help! Is it more likely to just be insect bites or something? We've been outside all day and her window was open last night.

Thank you!

Booboostwo Tue 04-Aug-15 19:25:45

For the first day or so it is impossible to know as the spots look like insect bites. Then the oldest spot gets a liquid filled bubble in the middle and that's chicken pox. Over the next 7-10 days all the spots come out, get the bubbles and the dry out.

hideandseekpig Tue 04-Aug-15 19:56:06

Ok...so do I just carry on as usual?! Or do you literally hole up indoors for a few days and wait and see what happens to the spot? Thank you for answering

Twolefttoes Tue 04-Aug-15 20:00:13

I think you will know by the morning, as if it is I would expect them to be like blisters by then.

StetsonsAreCool Tue 04-Aug-15 20:01:40

DS has had a similar rash for 6 days. I'm guessing that's not CP as the blisters haven't filled out, they're still looking like insect bites with a pale bit in the middle.

Booboostwo Tue 04-Aug-15 20:28:13

I don't think you need to stay indoors for every rash and mosquito bite. You'll know very soon if it is CP and unfortunately, if it is, it will have been contagious 2-3 days before any indication. We were on a plane on a Saturday a few weeks ago, Sunday DS had a spot, by Monday it was obviously CP. I really hope we did not infect anyone vulnerable but there was no way of knowing on the Saturday.

hideandseekpig Tue 04-Aug-15 20:30:23

Thanks I'll keep an eye then!

Ktmummy1 Wed 05-Aug-15 18:10:48

Fluid filled blisters which are itchy, turn red, crust over then scab. It's usually obvious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now