Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What do I do next? 4 year old with constipation...sort of...

(13 Posts)
mandmsmummy Tue 04-Aug-15 18:52:51

I've posted a lot but I'm at the end of my tether.
It started when my four year old had blood in her poo in May 14, then again in Oct 14 and again in February 15. They tested for imflammation in a poo sample, very mildly high but nothing to cause worry and referred her to a peadatric gastro. He ordered blood tests which were normal and felt her tummy and felt reassured it was constipation. She does big poos every day and her tummy has always looked distended. He suggested movicol and see how we go.
So having had a tummy bug in our house ( my son and me having it mildly my daughter waking up with her bed full of diarrhoea) she seems to be doing softer poos and I daren't start movicol again.
I can't believe she can have all these problems. She has tummy ache a lot and hips sometimes.
She is full of fun and has a huge appetite so that pleases me but I am worried I should be getting her seen again.
Can anyone empathise?
X

wintersdawn Tue 04-Aug-15 19:03:25

My DD also 4 has never had blood in her poo but has always suffered with constipation, a long trip or time away can easily result in up to four days before she passes solids again, when she was younger I never expected her to pass something daily and would become concerned when she reached a week. However like you the doctors have never shown any real interest in the matter they simply say it's her system and don't worry.
I try and help through diet if she is ill or I know we are going away I've started baking things I can hide a lot of bran in and making sure she drinks a lot of water. I often substitute some flour in recipes for bran from health shops.

mandmsmummy Tue 04-Aug-15 19:11:00

My DD goes everyday but they are big so they assume the blood is from straining. Something doesn't sit right with me though. Could it be a food intolerance? The blood worries me but they say anything nasty is rare in children x

JazzerciseThis Tue 04-Aug-15 19:21:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mandmsmummy Tue 04-Aug-15 22:06:21

They haven't seen anything but they didn't look too hard.

I didn't get a photo and could kick myself

It always looked like a vein type thing, it looked to me like it was in the poo but I could be wrong as I panicked each time.
What does it mean if it's in the poo? X

JazzerciseThis Tue 04-Aug-15 22:15:03

JazzerciseThis Tue 04-Aug-15 22:17:21

mandmsmummy Tue 04-Aug-15 22:30:00

Like a string of blood, not on wiping but in the poo. I'm a natural worrier! X

mandmsmummy Tue 04-Aug-15 22:31:01

What can cause it though? I'm not convinced it's constipation. She has runny poos sometimes too x

mandmsmummy Wed 05-Aug-15 21:04:52

Come on Jazz! I'm thinking the worst here x

JazzerciseThis Wed 05-Aug-15 22:56:01

mandmsmummy Wed 05-Aug-15 23:35:42

Thanks Jazz,
Perhaps I should mention she has hypermobility? I'm seeing a link with it and bowel and bladder problems. She often wees a bit in her knickers. Happy for you to message if you'd rather? x

JazzerciseThis Thu 06-Aug-15 16:26:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now