Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

The dreaded nits!!!

(8 Posts)
fassbender Mon 03-Aug-15 10:53:56

We have managed to go 7 years without encountering them, DS (7) has never had them but DD (5) has just had a head full! We have used the solution (Full Marks) and seem to have got rid of the live ones but there are still loads of eggs clinging to her hair. Combing with conditioner doesn't seem to get them. Our plan is to treat again a week after the first time, but does anyone have any tips re getting rid of of the eggs? We are treating the whole family - I also have eggs but haven't found any live. Lovely confused

fassbender Mon 03-Aug-15 10:54:29

Oh, and we're on holiday, perfect timing!

Haggisfish Mon 03-Aug-15 10:56:29

Nitty gritty comb and the spray on hedrin gel. Nitty gritty comb is the best for removing eggs although actually I ended up removing them by hand/nail as it was the easiest way to do it!

IlPorcupinoNilSodomyEst Mon 03-Aug-15 10:57:34

We had this last year on holiday too! Lots and lots of cheap conditioner and a good nit comb, I have a yellow plastic one which seems best for us (Nitty Gritty, or the Bugbuster, can't remember which one it is). Just keep combing (for weeks, it feels like). They are a complete pain.

lurkerspeaks Wed 05-Aug-15 09:44:33

I've recently had them myself! Urgh.

Anyway I nitcombed religiously with a nitty gritty and conditioner every day for a week and then every 3 days for a further week. That got rid of them but I'm not at massive risk of re-exposure as I'm now very wary about putting my heads near kids.

The nitty gritty shifts eggs.

My hairdresser (because it was she who found them - double double eek) recommended this place…

www.thehairforce.co.uk

fassbender Wed 05-Aug-15 17:42:13

Thank you all grin I am armed with the Nitty Gritty comb, fingers crossed it works!

shushpenfold Wed 05-Aug-15 17:48:58

Nitty gritty and forget the Hedrin. Wet comb every other night, 3 times and then the other nights and daily for 10 days dry comb with the nitty gritty in front of the telly (no pain, rather relaxing actually!) If you find anything with legs after a dry comb you need to go back to wet again. If you find anything alive on a wet comb you need to do at least one more wet session. Simples.

Emochild Wed 05-Aug-15 17:50:18

White vinegar dissolves the glue that sticks the eggs to the hair

It's amazing how many eggs come out once its been rinsed through with vinegar

Shudder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now