Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How to stop child picking at scab on scalp in her sleep

(8 Posts)
ndomaingue Sun 02-Aug-15 09:13:20

Hello,
Our two year-old daughter has a scab on her scalp that is the last remnant of her having chickenpox some four months previously. Unfortunately, every few days, when she wakes either from full sleep or even just a mid-afternoon nap, we find that she has picked at it in her sleep.

Can anyone recommend any things we can do to give this wound a chance to heal?

As she's doing it in her sleep, we don't see her doing it and cannot try to change her conscious behaviour. And as the wound is right on the crown of her scalp, covered in hair, a simple plaster won't help. She would remove gloves or a hat. What tips do people have here?

I've been wondering about liquid plasters or some kind of glue similar to what hospitals use for head injuries. Does anyone have any experience of using these solutions?

Many thanks,
Nigel

PotteringAlong Sun 02-Aug-15 09:22:56

If it's on her scalp in her hair does it matter? Don't worry it will heal eventually.

00100001 Sun 02-Aug-15 09:29:08

Swimming hat?

Excitedforxmas Sun 02-Aug-15 09:32:20

Put Vaseline on it to soften it

ndomaingue Tue 04-Aug-15 08:06:17

Thanks, but she picked at it even faster. I guess that anything unnatural is just going to exaggerate the sensations that draw her attention to the spot, whether consciously or sub consciously. There's no way a hat will stay on, as she doesn't even keep hairbands on for long. I guess we are just going to have to wait and be patient.

Wolfiefan Tue 04-Aug-15 08:07:12

Gloves?

00100001 Wed 05-Aug-15 11:59:12

Yep, mittens, put them on her when she's asleep?

ndomaingue Tue 15-Dec-15 21:28:04

Thought I'd post a conclusion to this as it is all cleared up now. It didn't go away on its own, and but rubbing Sudacreme onto the wound after hairwashing quickly calmed it down and allowed the healing to commence. I guess it must had had a minor infection that the antiseptic creme tackled. We tend to wash her hair twice a week and it only took a couple or so applications to stop her scratching off the scab, and a few more weeks of attention to let it heal completely.
Did people seriously suggest gloves for a two year-old? No chance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now