Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS aged 5 had a funny turn today. Low blood sugar or something else?

(5 Posts)
Preminstreltension Sat 01-Aug-15 22:27:38

We were at a garden fete and he was happily looking at the stalls when he suddenly - from one moment to the other - said he was going to be sick and went very white. I found a spare plastic bag and we sat in the shade for ten mins - he had very cold hands. He seemed to recover and I wondered if he had low blood sugar but I don't know if children suffer with this usually. It was 1.30 and he hadn't eaten since 8.30 but that's not unusual. Ten mins later he was fine. Then we left and he had some sugary squash but by then he was ok anyway.

Does anyone have experience of a blood sugar crash in children or any other cause.

Hoolit Sat 01-Aug-15 22:41:30

Bugger had typed out a reply and it's gone! Yes my dd suffered similar symptoms from approx 4_7yrs she's almost 11 now and is fine. It seemed to be brought on by not eating for a couple of hours, heat and cold. Doctors said it was basically syncope which results in fainting as she did pass out a couple of times.
She would have 2/3 episodes a year and like your ds would be fine in 10 mins.
It can be a bit scary but you start to notice symptoms and you can head them off.
Hopefully it was a one off for you.

Hoolit Sat 01-Aug-15 22:42:46

Vasovagel syncope!

Preminstreltension Sat 01-Aug-15 22:51:21

Aha. I have vasovagal syncope myself so that would make sense. Of course I know how to manage it and would spot the signs in myself quickly but I guess he was unaware of any sensation until it overwhelmed him.

Did your doctor do any tests to confirm it was VS or did they just know iyswim.

Hoolit Sat 01-Aug-15 23:35:02

They took her in and carried out some tests but I can't recall what, none invasive though.

Her first one happened in reception one snowy playtime so that was her first visit to the doc.

I learned to spot her signs as did she but she did get little symptoms in the minutes leading to an episode, usually losing her colour. Her symptoms did change slightly but the mains ones were what you describe, she did see colours too.

Hope you get sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now