Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Molluscm reassurance

(7 Posts)
MissusSee Sat 01-Aug-15 21:29:46

Hi there - am new to MumsNet but just wondered if anyone might help me. 11 yr old DD has just contracted Molluscm. Her cousin has a bad case of it - she lives abroad and we don't see them often. Anyway I only found out a fortnight into visit - they had been bathing together, swimming - you name it. Parents did not tell us and I am so angry - so irresponsible and I would never put anyone in this position. Anyway, thought she might be lucky and get away with it but lots of white bumps have appeared all over her tummy which I believe is the first stage. I'm not sure what happens next - presumably they don't all turn into full molluscm - I thought they appeared in clusters rather than everywhere?
I've read about it until I am so stressed and exhausted thinking about it - so many horror stories. I have everything - tea tree, colloidal silver, 100s of plasters, spray antiseptic, spray plasters, apple cider vinegar, manuka honey, thuja tablets and garlic supplements. Have booked appointment with doctor for next week. Where do I start? I can't throw the whole lot at her at once. Does anyone who has been through it have any advice? Please tell me that it will eventually run it's course. DD is about to start secondary school and this is the last thing she needs. Just not fair on her and I feel so guilty (irrationally I know) for having not protected her. Thanks so much for any advice you have xx

PolterGoose Sat 01-Aug-15 21:41:50

After much googling and MN searching as soon as I'd worked out what ds's spots were, we went with lemon myrtle oil, 5 drops in ds's bath every day, no more appeared and they were gone in less than 6 months. I didn't do anything else as they weren't bothering him.

YouMaySayImADreamer Sun 02-Aug-15 16:50:15

I think you are panicking a bit here, and that is coming from someone who is ultra paranoid about DC's health! MC is really common and totally harmless. It doesn't even necessarily present that severely. I mean to that reassure you.

My DS showed up with some strange looking spots on his buttock a few months ago and I thought they looked warty and was sick with worry about where he had picked them up from and why they weren't clearing up. I hadn't heard of MC before then but did come across it when I was searching for what they could be. I was so relieved when the doctor explained what they were. The ones on his bum have just cleared up in the last week so in total they lasted only about 4 months. He has quite a lot on his legs but noone has noticed them or said anything. I havent treated them at all although I probably would have if they had started to look really unsightly.

The photos I have seen on the internet are a lot worse and more extreme looking than the ones on his bum ever got, so try not to scare yourself.

I know it is horrible to think of your lovely DC having anything that affects their appearance as this can do and I know it is all relative, but really there are much much worse things.

happymummyone Sun 02-Aug-15 16:59:50

My DD had them for a couple of years, totally harmless! Doctor wouldn't do anything, it just needs time to go away by itself. It's also supposed to be very contagious, but as it won't hurt your child in any way, try not to be too cross with the other family!

Namelesswonder Wed 05-Aug-15 10:12:31

It's a virus, there is little you can do except wait for the body to deal with them. My 2 DD had them, one very badly, the other had just 4 spots so you never know, might not be as bad as you fear.

MissusSee Thu 06-Aug-15 20:36:01

Thank you all for taking the time to share your experiences. I am finding this tough and dread them moving to her face. Hopefully it won't be too bad and will be short lived . . . .

YouMaySayImADreamer Fri 07-Aug-15 08:10:31

Just to add, from what I have read everywhere, mollescum doesn't scar if you just leave them alone. So worst case sceanario, there will be no lasting effects from this.

I also don't recall having ever seen anyone with mollescum on their face in RL, infact I had never heard of it before at all. I'm sure there are plenty of people I know who have had it but this just goes to show it can't be all that obvious to other people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now