Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd so sore she's creaming out in pain...

(15 Posts)
GuiltyAsAGirlCanBe Thu 30-Jul-15 22:36:07

Dd just woke from sleep absolutely squealing in pain from "down below" and she had her hand down her pull-up scratching like mad. She kept falling back to sleep again and then waking up with the same.

I got her into the bathroom and had a look and she is a little bit red, but no broken skin, white plaques or anything. I applied a cold flannel as I didn't want to put creams etc on and make it sting more. She has finally fallen asleep with her pull-up off, towel underneath her and a damp flannel between her legs. And worse she would only settle in my bed which has no plastic sheeting etc!

She has been running around a lot today at soft play - she is fully trained during the day but I think she doesn't wipe properly if she uses the loo unsupervised. I didn't give her a bath tonight as she fell asleep in the car on the way home from my mum's. She is 4.

Any advice on what to do? I am thinking daily cool baths and telling her to make sure she wipes properly?! Is it worth a trip to the doctors am do you think? I have never seen her like that - she ever usually makes much of a fuss if she hurts herself, but she was literally squealing with the pain/itchiness. 😔

GuiltyAsAGirlCanBe Thu 30-Jul-15 22:36:51

My title was meant to say screaming obviously. Bloody autocorrect

tethersend Thu 30-Jul-15 22:41:04

I'd go to the GP- it could be a UTI.

madamginger Thu 30-Jul-15 22:41:53

If you have any clotrimazole or canesten cream you can use that on her.
It could be the heat from running about and irritating her skin making her itchy but if it doesn't resolve by the morning I'd take her to the GP

NoNoNoMYDoIt Thu 30-Jul-15 22:42:01

Worms? Worse at night and can lay eggs in vulva

Effic Thu 30-Jul-15 22:42:44

Cystitis? Especially if she's not quite getting the wiping but right yet? Was she urinating when she screamed? Did she have a wet nappy? Just thinking (& I have no medical knowledge at all!) but pain and could that weird cystitis 'needing to go feeling' be described as itching? I'd load her up with water and see how tonight goes but if there is no improvement then doctors?

trixgus Thu 30-Jul-15 22:43:43

Classic symptoms of Worms- even if you don't see any I would be straight down the pharmacy for a family pack of mebendazole tomorrow.

Ahrightsoted Thu 30-Jul-15 22:44:53

Any chance it could be threadworms? This happened to my dd recently and I thought it might be thrush. It didn't get any better so took her to our gp and he said definitely worms. They get itching at the front because off the way their bits are. She was driven mad by the itching day and night .
Hope that helps

MrsBungle Thu 30-Jul-15 22:46:31

I think I'd take her to the gp tomorrow incase if infection. Poor wee thing.

Keeptrudging Thu 30-Jul-15 22:48:27

Urine infection? I would phone docs & get antibiotics - my DD had had this a few times, needs meds. She's not good at drinking enough, needs reminded and UTI seems to come from her getting dehydrated.

3littlefrogs Thu 30-Jul-15 22:49:21

Sounds like thread worms.
Buy the treatment first thing tomorrow.
Check for worms and follow all the instructions on the medication packaging.

GuiltyAsAGirlCanBe Thu 30-Jul-15 22:52:56

No had a dry nappy when she woke up and I made her got for a wee before I put her I to my bed with no nappy on and it didn't seem to hurt her. She has had a uti before and with that she just needed to go more often and wet herself a couple of times. No pain like this.

I can't find any canesten but I'm sure I had some somewhere.

Interesting about the worms - she has got a bit red/sore from the lack of wiping/getting hot and sweaty before, but never been like this with it. It was heartbreaking ��

Kreeshsheesh Thu 30-Jul-15 23:04:21

My sympathies. My 9 yr old dd has been exactly the same this evening and in her case it's threadworms. The treatment can take a couple of days to work (gave her meds yesterday). DD was screaming in pain last night and this evening - it's so painful and itchy. As others said, I would definitely consider getting her something for this at the pharmacy. Another thing my dd got when she was a bit younger and had trouble wiping herself thoroughly, was a small split in her perineum. The GP said this was possibly caused by a thrush infection or as a result of insufficient wiping. Canesten cream did seem to help a bit. Maybe if dd is still really sore a trip to doc might help? Hope it's resolved asap- it's horrible when they have something like this.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 30-Jul-15 23:14:22

Have you changed pull ups lately? or had the brand your using changed in anyway? smell stronger? feel a bit different?

I'd he wondering about a reaction to the nappy.

backtowork2015 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:03:21

had you bathed her? my dd gets realky sore if she gets shower gel on her vulva, we have to wash her with johnsons first bath, anything else gets her really irritated. I put sudocrem on when it happened, seemed to sooth her but she was screaming too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now