Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tips for not catching d&v from DS...

(14 Posts)
spancake Wed 29-Jul-15 23:37:43

My 4yo DS has started with d&v this evening hmmconfused what are your absolute best top tips for not catching it besides the obvious hand washing etc? I'm emetophobic, so the thought of this is worse than most people can imagine..

meglet Wed 29-Jul-15 23:42:35

regular hand washing. don't rub your eyes either.

separate towels.

wash hands before your food prep and again before eating.

I've escaped all bar one bug from the dc's by doing this.

onthering Wed 29-Jul-15 23:44:53

The 1-2-3 approach. Hand washing. Hand washing. And more hand washing.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Wed 29-Jul-15 23:55:33

It is all about the basic hygiene: lots of handwashing in hot water with soap, properly rinsed. You and him / other family members

Liberal applications of bleach down the loo won't hurt either

FadedRed Wed 29-Jul-15 23:57:53

^ Clean frequently with bleach based cleaner using disposable cloth, J cloth type things which you can throw away after use. Make sure you clean toilet, flush lever, washbasin and taps, light switches, door handles, any 'frequent touch' areas. Try not to inhale when close to anyone vomiting, as there can be aerosol that can get into your mouth, obviously this can be a bit difficult! Also bleach based cleaner on surfaces around where vomiting is happening if possible. Wash any clothes affected in bio laundry product at the highest water temp as possible, 60C if the fabric can stand it.
Hand washing with soap and water, separate towels as pp says. Hand gels are not very effective for D&V.

FadedRed Thu 30-Jul-15 00:01:58

Oh and crockery cutlery in dishwasher at 60c or above or if hand washed, keep the 'sick ones' separate to the 'well ones' and rinse in water too hot for your hands to stay in, you can let the water cool down a bit before you take them out to avoid scalding yourself!
Best of luck.

nemo81 Thu 30-Jul-15 05:19:05

When my kids have D&V i wear a tea towel round my face and hold my breath when cleaning up sick. I too am really sick phobic! I also clean everything with bleach and wash my hands constantly.

tobysmum77 Thu 30-Jul-15 06:37:40

- bag up anything contaminated before carrying round the house and boil wash
- if you have more than one bathroom/ toilet the sick person has their own.
- only eat hot food
- spray bleach everywhere
- get rid of hand towels and use paper
- and wash hands constantly

I truly believe noro is containable (although obviously there are no guarantees) and am confused at the people who let it go through the family because you 'can't do anything about it'

AngieBolen Thu 30-Jul-15 07:27:32

Regularly use detox on door handles and taps.

I managed not to get it when I had 2 DC both throwing up simultaneously. Detox is your friend.

TheCowThatLaughs Thu 30-Jul-15 08:13:59

Wash around your mouth and nose regularly as well as hands.

CaramellaDeVille Thu 30-Jul-15 08:21:52

Good luck OP. My two little ones have had D&V for the past week and so far DH and I have avoided it! Hand washing, separate towels and generally being mindful about it all seems to have worked here. Despite being repeatedly covered in vomit by my 18 month old shock

Toffeelatteplease Thu 30-Jul-15 08:27:43

Kitchen roll instead of towels (lots of kitchen roll)

lilacblossomtime Thu 30-Jul-15 08:29:41

I'd use those disposable gloves when handling any dirty laundry or cleaning anything. Also maybe an apron that you either dispose of or wipe well with disinfectant.

spancake Thu 30-Jul-15 08:44:49

Thanks for all your tips!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now