Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

really sore bottom

(13 Posts)
Nabuma Wed 29-Jul-15 13:45:54

My 2year old has a bad case of diarrhoea which started yesterday morning. She is taking in fluids so I'm not worried about dehydration but I'm mainly concerned with her sore bum. I've been using wet wipes to clean her after a dirty nappy but her bumhole (sorry couldn't think of a better word) and the immediate surrounding area has become red and sore. There are slight purpley bits too which I'm assuming are the beginnings of piles as she's been going so frequently. Since the soreness I have been using sudocrem after a change and aqueous cream during so that any bits come off with less wiping iyswim. She has been yelping, squirming, jumping and now sobbing in pain at every change. I've swapped to warm water and cotton wool with sudocrem after but she's still finding the changes painful, bless her. Any suggestions?

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Wed 29-Jul-15 13:48:00

How horrid, bless her. I'm sure someone will have some helpful advice very soon, but have you tried giving her some calpol? It might just ease some of the discomfort

Jackie0 Wed 29-Jul-15 13:51:04

You're doing everything right and a bit of calpol wouldn't hurt.
It's an anus by the way .

Nabuma Wed 29-Jul-15 14:05:04

Thanks guys.

Momzilla82 Wed 29-Jul-15 14:08:37

The yellow metanium is better for this kind of circumstance than sudocrem.

Nabuma Wed 29-Jul-15 15:10:34

Is it? I'll give it a try, thanks momzilla I was considering anusol as it seems most likely to soothe it but I don't think it's recommended for children.

Newlywed56 Wed 29-Jul-15 15:13:55

My dd had really bad nappy rash for weeks and we tried absolutely everything but it didn't work. In the end our hospital made a mix of these 4 creams - metanium, Vaseline, orabase and daktarin. It was the only thing that worked and cleared it within a couple of days, if it all doesn't work go to your GP and ask for this smile

justkeeponsmiling Wed 29-Jul-15 15:14:23

Aww bless. I found loads of warm baths really helped. But make sure her bottom gets properly dry after. If rubbing/dabbing it dry is too painful use a hairdryer on a low, warm setting.
Hope she's better soon.

Thurlow Wed 29-Jul-15 15:18:14

There is very little that metanium doesn't work on (for future reference it's also the only thing that seems to calm the itching from worms wink), so I would try that. But yes, Calpol too, though make sure it's not an ibuprofen-based one as that's not so good with stomach upsets.

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Wed 29-Jul-15 15:26:35

Another vote for metanium, I think it's great. You only need a thin layer. If her bottom is really sore try wiping with olive oil rather than water.

Nabuma Wed 29-Jul-15 17:00:13

Thanks for your suggestions guys..i used to work in a pharmacy so you think I would know but I've forgotten lots! blush seems metanium is the winner. I spoke to Dr a while ago as she had three days of runny tummy, three days fine and now the last two days runny (even more so than last time) again. Been told to use a good barrier cream, slap it on thick and keep her hydrated. So metanium it is! Will keep that formulation in mind, newlywed seems like an awesome mix to really sort it out! just I will use the hairdryer trick, thanks. Had considered a bath but she's going so frequently that I worry it wouldn't be very hygienic if she goes in the bath? Will give it a go when it hopefully slows down. thurlow yeah I did have a panic earlier when all I could fond was Ibuprofen but found the Calpol now! She's still eating so will try and get something a bit stodgy without fibre in her tonight. Any suggestions? about olive oil sounds genius. Giving it a go next time. Thanks everyone!

Thurlow Wed 29-Jul-15 17:07:12

Isn't it the BRAT diet? Bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast. I've always just stuck to bananas and toast when DD is diarrhea.

Nabuma Wed 29-Jul-15 17:54:26

Oh yeah, that rings a bell thurlow will give dd some rice and toast as our bananas aren't ripe enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now