Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD has got something stuck in her ear

(9 Posts)
TJTR1 Tue 28-Jul-15 18:48:27

Hi all, just wanting some advice on what you guys would do next as feeling a bit lost!!

Yesterday took my 1 year old DD to the doctors as she's been feeling unwell, when doing her checks on her ear the nurse noticed something white in the left one. She bought in another nurse to double check and she also said there was something white but neither knew what it was. They advised to go to A&E in the next few days to get it looked at and removed.

Went to A&E today and saw the doctor in the children's department who looked in her ear and couldn't see anything at first but then when dd started to pull away he saw 'it'. After looking again he confirmed he could see something white and needed to send us to head and neck unit as he was unable to get it out.

The doctor at the head and neck unit used the same tool (the ear thing with the light) as the other doctors and said there was nothing there. I said that 3 doctors have advised there is do thing there and dd is constant,y putting her finger in this ear and he said there isn't and the other doctors must have seen a reflection.

Where do I go from here? I find it hard to believe or understand how 3 different doctors could see a reflection and be mistaken?

TJTR1 Tue 28-Jul-15 18:50:19

Sorry for the typos in 2nd to last paragraph- I don't know why iOS changes such random words!

MyPelvicFloorTrainsItself Tue 28-Jul-15 18:55:39

I would go back again and make them look again, just in case he was wrong tbh.

tincent Tue 28-Jul-15 21:11:23

Me too go back. Mine had a pea in her ear.

Kayden Tue 28-Jul-15 22:37:00

Yup, back to the GP. They might be able to refer directly, so you can bypass A&E.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 28-Jul-15 22:52:31

Back again - can you think what it might be eg a white bead?

gruffalosarse Tue 28-Jul-15 23:01:57

I would go back to GP and request a referral to ENT. My son went 6 months with the top of a pencil up his nostril, I visited A&E, GP and children's hospital and was informed there was nothing there. Insisted on another referral as I wasn't convinced. GP thought I was overreacting.... However, ENT consultant then discovered and removed the item. Long story but if you're not satisfied then request another referral urgently.

TJTR1 Wed 29-Jul-15 12:55:52

Thank you all, I was thinking go again but as a first time mum I worry that I'm eating their time, that Dr who couldn't see anything just shut me down and making a 1 year old sit in a hospital for 3 hours is not fair to them be told no. Will defiantly be making another appointment and try to get referred!

No idea what it could be and neither did any of the Drs so bets are open wink

DishPig Wed 29-Jul-15 15:13:35

Hi OP, doesn't sound like much fun at all. I imagine it would have been an ENT you saw at the Head & Neck unit (not sure why you weren't seen in General ENT but Head & Neck is an ENT sub-specialty).

Could whatever it is have fallen out in between the initial sighting and the H&N unit? IME most non-ENT docs aren't great at looking in ears and are prone to see things that aren't there.

But I think if you are unsure then by all means get your GP to have another look and refer back to ENT to double check if you're still worried. They might think you're being a bit precious, but it's your DC and hopefully they will keep that to themselves wink.

Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now