Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

UTI in 3 year old

(6 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Sat 25-Jul-15 17:52:09

My dd had a uti that was causing her lots of pain but didn't really develop, no temp or anything. She had amoxicillin, which cleared it up but it's been a week or so and she's just complained of it hurting again.
Dr seemed v concerned that she had a uti, I thought it was quite common (I get them often but for entirely different reasons, obviously) but apparently not in children.
I don't know what could be causing it, have encouraged her to drink more and not hold it in and she is always clean down there... Has anyone else encountered this in young children?

timeforacheckup Sat 25-Jul-15 18:02:59

My dd1 had two UTIs within a month of each other (think they were the same one really) when she was three. They were both confirmed and we were referred to see a consultant at the hospital and she had to have an ultrasound scan to check her kidneys and bladder.
Once they were happy there was nothing wrong with her 'plumbing' they said it was probably due to her mot wiping herself properly (she was just learning to do it herself).
It is fairly common but they do like to check there's nothing wrong internally - apparently around 3 can be when problems first become apparent.

OhWhatAPalaver Tue 28-Jul-15 18:49:56

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it was just a one off, she's just learning to wipe properly as well so maybe it was that.

tethersend Tue 28-Jul-15 18:55:58

It could be that she needs more antibiotics- the amoxicillin may not have cleared it up completely.

UTIs can be very serious in children, so I would take her back to the GP.

tincent Tue 28-Jul-15 21:09:23

My doctor said it was really common when my DD had one. Esp in children learning to wipe etc.

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 29-Jul-15 07:44:40

Oh right! Maybe my Dr was being over cautious... She's not complaining of it hurting any more so hopefully it has cleared up. Keeping a close eye on it though. Thanks for the replies smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now