Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Antibiotics after adenoids op???

(10 Posts)
BabyMum1 Sat 25-Jul-15 15:18:08

My 10mo will have an op next month to remove his adenoids (it's really bad, wakes up 5-7 times every night as he can't breath!).... When my ds1 had the same op last year they gave him antibiotics and they said they ll do the same for ds2 just as a way to get rid of xtra mucus.. So my question is did any of u had to give abs after such an op? Was it mandatory? Ds1 had 3 rounds of abs due to infections and he's not even 1 so really don't want to give them just cause it helps clearing mucus!!

Thank u!!

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Sat 25-Jul-15 19:17:59

They're given prophylactically. There's an infection risk after the operation so it's to prevent any complications.

BabyMum1 Sat 25-Jul-15 20:19:48

Thx so much for posting!
Really eh? So I just have to give them? No other way? I hate doing this in case something happens a couple of weeks after the op and he must get abs again for different reason confused

AboutTimeIChangedMyNameAgain Sat 25-Jul-15 20:53:48

Yes, give them, I'm a nurse. Why would he need them for something else? The main risks are bleeding and/or infection post op.

MrsSpencerReid Sat 25-Jul-15 21:04:35

Where I work we only give antibiotics if the child comes back with an infection, not as a standard thing, it must vary from trust to trust, no harm is asking the surgeon if he def needs them

BabyMum1 Sat 25-Jul-15 21:06:48

Hiya.. But shouldn't we wait till he gets an infection first before giving them?
What I meant earlier is what if he gets a cold a few days later which by coincidence it turns into something bacterial and then he will need them for sure!! He ll end up having 2 abs in a month!! And it'd be a shame one of them to be 'just in case he gets an infection!'

Many thanks for replies!

highlystrung Sat 25-Jul-15 22:36:53

My 5 year old dd had her adenoids out in May and there was no mention of her having ABs. As it turned out she didn't need them but it was never even mentioned.

Baffledmumtoday Sat 25-Jul-15 22:49:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Baffledmumtoday Sat 25-Jul-15 22:50:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BabyMum1 Sun 26-Jul-15 13:57:33

Ok different schools of thought then by different doctors confused
Really difficult to make up my mind as really don't want infection!
Much appreciate ur replies!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now