Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

2 week old distended stomach hospital no clue helpvdesperate

(9 Posts)
Mamamia321 Fri 24-Jul-15 07:05:11

i came into hospital two nights ago following an emergency referral from dr. Baby had been displaying colic like symptoms since Friday and mw had dismissed distended stomach as fine. On Wednesday she threw up three times, one with green blob, and her stomach swelled till skin shiny as well as having temp.
In a and e they gave her an Iv for antibiotics, naso gastric tube to release air, lumbar puncture to test for meningitis and tests on blood and urine.psurgeons said not twisted gut as no big green vomit and pooing.
Medics said no immediate infection proof but wait 48 hrs for cultures.
First night she was nil by mouth.
Yesterday morning nice flat tummy good colour. Starving.
Started feeding by pm huge tummy colicky storms v miserable. Big poo and vomit.
Last night nil by mouth again she is miserable just got her to sleep.
She is either feeding and in pain or staving and symptoms go,
Drs still no clue.
Surgeons to see her again this am. They bounce from infection to gas to gut necrosis last night.
I have two ds at home who are getting distressed at my absence and whom i am missing desperately.
Has anyone any idea what is going on?

Blu Fri 24-Jul-15 07:17:19

Goodness, how very upsetting. I know nothing about infant health, but just wanted to say I understand how worried and upset you must be.

Hold on to the fact that she is doing well when fed IV, so they will surely get to the bottom of why millk in her tummy causes problems.

Thinking of you.

Mamamia321 Sat 25-Jul-15 06:55:55

Thank you. Theory s now milk protein intolerant so las to feeds lacto free waits fo dr to review.

Blu Sat 25-Jul-15 08:36:49

It sounds like something like that. I'm glad they are getting somewhere OP, is there anyone you can take turns with at the hospital so you can see your older DC?

BabyMum1 Sat 25-Jul-15 09:52:38

Good friend had a dd with similar symptoms when newborn .. It ended up bring lactose intolerance ... Get them to check

Otherwise milk allergy but these symptoms r usually for lactose issues
Get them to give her lactose free milk to see the reaction!!
Also make sure u give probiotics when she comes out of hospital as abs will wipe out good bacteria and she might get reflux (happened to us!)
Good luck it's gonna be ok xxx

Mamamia321 Sun 26-Jul-15 02:46:59

Dh lactose intolerant bu they are saying would be milk protein not lactose?

BabyMum1 Sun 26-Jul-15 04:16:28

Usually such dramatic symptoms r for lactose intolerance .... U have absolutely nothing to loose if u give formula without lactose and see how it goes
Wishing u the best! Ds2 had something similar (admitted to hospital only 4 days old, checked for menigitis etc) so understand wot u r going through, but it will end!

BabyMum1 Sun 26-Jul-15 04:20:15

Ah and if Dh is lactose intolerant big clue there!!!!

VeloWoman Sun 26-Jul-15 05:02:58

I am hoping it is lactose intolerance (which is rare but serious and shows itself early) as if it is switching your DD to a lactose free formula should make her better. CMPI is tends to be milder, DS had it but could still tolerate a certain amount of cows milk or cows milk based products/formula. Hang in there (hug).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now