Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Headaches in 8yo - anything to worry about?

(12 Posts)
SophiePendragon Thu 23-Jul-15 07:17:07

My just 8yo ds keeps having headaches, every day, often at the same place on his head.

It could have been from a play injury initially, he gets hurt often by ds1 on the trampoline (from which ds1 is now excluded, ahem) and elsewhere during normal fighting/rolling about/being stupid.

But it seems to be happening all the time now without noted injury.

often it is first thing in the morning.

I haven't googled and don't really want to - I'm sure it's probably stress or anxiety which he does suffer with - but at what point should I be concerned and take him to the GP?

Is this just one of those things?
Thanks.

sparkysparkysparky Thu 23-Jul-15 08:07:12

Can you have a telephone appointment with your GP to discuss? It might be a stress thing. It might be a physical problem. Either way, it's not much fun for your dc and needs tackling.

vvviola Thu 23-Jul-15 08:10:26

Has he had his eyes checked recently?

When I was about 10 I started complaining about headaches in school. Turns out I was very short sighted (how I'd survived until then I don't know!)

But I'd see if you could talk to the GP too. It's probably nothing, but no harm in checking.

midnightvelvetPart2 Thu 23-Jul-15 08:15:04

I second the eye test.

Then the GP if eyes are fine

catchingzzzeds Thu 23-Jul-15 08:20:31

You do need to get him checked out, the fact that he suffers them in the morning is a red flag.
Of course it's more than probably many other things but why worry when it can easily be looked into?
My DS was suffering with headaches and nausea a year ago he saw a paediatrician within a week of seeing the GP and anything nasty was ruled out. His headaches were put down to anxiety.

Stinkyfeet Thu 23-Jul-15 08:21:11

I think you should definitely take him to the GP. Tell them he's getting them every day, particularly in the morning. Also have a think about if he's had any other unexplained symptons recently which might help to build up a picture. It can't be very nice for him, so hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted quickly smile

SophiePendragon Thu 23-Jul-15 08:22:06

Thanks all, no, he hasn't had an eye test recently. I don't know how to organise that, do I just go into an optician somewhere or is it through the GP? Do I need to pay? (that's Ok, just not sure how it works)

Good idea to get that checked out. I do think it is likely to be stress related as he is very tense and does odd things with his head, like a sort of tic. Maybe it is that.

But wise to get it checked so I will - thank you.

SophiePendragon Thu 23-Jul-15 08:24:17

He doesn't have any other symptoms - no nausea, no loss of balance, nothing. When he mentions it it seems to be a brief headache, not a long one, iyswim? Like it will last maybe a minute then he forgets about it and it's gone.

I does happen at other times such as at school and after school.
He hasn't mentioned it this morning, hopefully that means he hasn't had it.

Could also be his not sleeping terribly well at the moment.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 23-Jul-15 08:28:01

Eye test or teeth coming in.

catchingzzzeds Thu 23-Jul-15 08:29:54

I'm sure it's nothing serious there are loads of much more likely causes.
I took my DS to the opticians before seeing the GP too, I called my local optician directly and it was free.

hotandbothered24 Thu 23-Jul-15 08:44:15

You can just book him an eye test at the optician's they are free . Headaches related to eye strain are usually frontal that is across forehead and around eyes. If he is getting them first thing in the morning it is less likely to be a vision problem. Definitely needs to be checked out

SophiePendragon Thu 23-Jul-15 09:02:03

Thank you, glad it's free, it all helps smile

He tends to get pain at his temple, on one side, or at the back of his head. Sometimes on a point on his forehead but it's mainly above his ear.

I will try and book them all for eye tests and get that out of the way in any case. 12yo hasn't had one since he started school either blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now