Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pea sized lump above belly button

(7 Posts)
BonnieBlueButler Wed 22-Jul-15 18:48:27

Hi,

We have noticed a small pea sized lump about half an inch above my 5 year old's belly button. It is not painful or particularly prominent.

I am wondering if it's an umbilical hernia but was under the impression that these are present from birth and this lump is new.

My DD had 2 inguinal hernias repaired last year so she does seem prone to them. I'm just concerned at what else it could be if not a hernia. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks.

fartmeistergeneral Wed 22-Jul-15 18:50:45

Yes my son has had this forever (he's 14). Some kind of fatty tissue - it did have a name but can't remember. Best get it checked out though.

TweenageAngst Wed 22-Jul-15 18:51:14

Put your mind at rest and go and see your GP who can examine it, and hopefully diagnose it.

BonnieBlueButler Wed 22-Jul-15 18:53:03

Thanks both. We have made a GP appointment. Just trying not to worry in the meantime.

fartmeistergeneral Wed 22-Jul-15 19:04:33

Try not to worry too much, it sounds exactly like my ds, even in exactly the same place. We've had it examined by two different doctors over time and they both said fatty tissue immediately.

JammyGeorge Thu 23-Jul-15 22:36:59

My ds2 has a hernia about an inch above his belly button but a bit to his right, it is the size of a pea.

With his hernia when he is laid or sat down you can't see it but if he is wandering about with no shirt on it pops out, particularly if he crouches down then stands up or if he cries.

If you poke it there's nothing there iyswim you can't feel a lump.

No idea if this helps! His has been there since birth but I can't see why a child couldn't develop one the same as an adult would - disclaimer I'm no medic!

I know you won't be able to stop yourself but try not to worry.

Tholeonagain Wed 29-Jul-15 08:41:48

Ds, 6, has a wierd puffy bump on his right cheekbone. No idea what it is, but am worrying. Am taking him to the GP today, will keep you posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now