Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How frequently do your children get ill - what's normal?

(5 Posts)
springfling Mon 20-Jul-15 20:55:18

My daughter is 15 months old, started nursery in the middle of April, just 1 day a week. Since then, she's had 3 bugs (vomiting/temp etc.). She didn't ever get this kind of thing pre nursery. I know it's common for children to pick up all sorts at nursery/school but is 3 episodes in 10 weeks normal? They always appear a day or two after her nursery day. Any advice/ experience much appreciated, she's my first.

Millie2013 Tue 21-Jul-15 19:13:50

My DD was just the same when she started nursery at 11mo, it felt like not a week went by, without her being poorly. The episodes became less frequent after about 6 months and now she just gets an occasional snotty nose/sickness bug, maybe once every few months

purplemurple1 Tue 21-Jul-15 19:22:50

Mine started at 12 months and is almost two now. At the start he was off about once a month, now it is about once every two months. He generally gets colds and temperatures but also a couple of d&v episodes, measles (or something similar).
I think its pretty normal tbh.

Kim82 Tue 21-Jul-15 19:38:12

It felt like my elder 3 kids were constantly I'll throughout their first year or so at nursery and they had a permanent snotty nose and cough. It must have built their immune systems up though as now they're older it's very rare for them to be ill, maybe once a year at the most although I can't actually remember the last time my 8 year old was ill...

It's perfectly normal to pick up everything when they start at nursery. Try not to worry too much.

springfling Tue 21-Jul-15 20:33:58

Thank you all, that's reassuring! Appreciate the replies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now