Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any tips to improve immune system in kids?

(16 Posts)
sometimesyouwin Sun 19-Jul-15 06:35:12

So we've been on a roller coaster of illness since Christmas! DS1 (4.5yrs) and DS2 (15 mths) both had sickness bug over Christmas. Feb they both had chicken pox. April DS1 had Scarlet fever followed by bout of impetigo. May and June were vaguely okay apart from DS2 picking up loads of nursery bugs. DS1 had Scarlet fever again a couple of weeks ago! whilst DS2 has had some nasty virus. Then to top it off DS2 projectile vomited on Friday evening and DS1 spent the whole of yesterday evening throwing up! Is it this relentless for everyone else?! They just don't seem to get a chance to get their immune systems back on form. I haven't been able to eat a proper meal over the last 2 days as all the sickness has taken my appetite away sad .
We're really thorough with hygiene and have a good diet. DS1 is a bit of a picky eater but will eat most fruit and veg etc. We all take vitamins and probiotics. I'm just wondering what else I can do to give their immune systems a good boost! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

redcaryellowcar Sun 19-Jul-15 06:49:42

Sorry I have no advice, but look forward to seeing replies, I have 2 dc, 4&1, they seemed to be ill constantly from November to June, doctor thinks eldest might have had glandular fever.

FennyBridges Sun 19-Jul-15 07:17:00

Cod liver oil. Seven Seas do an orange flavoured medicine. I used to give it to my son religiously but now I do so 3-4 times a week and he is honestly never ill. He's had usual childhood illnesses like chicken pox, obviously, and he had a day off before Christmas but personally I think that was related to exhaustion - he's 5 and had 13 weeks at school. He does eat a good diet, however, doesn't turn his nose up at any fruit of veg except pineapple, but I think cod liver oil is the icing on the cake. Personally I think cod liver oil is under used and under valued. I've been taking it for 3 years now and have never felt as good. I don't get any colds but did have a vomiting bug this year. It's also quite inexpensive. Also can't remember last time we were at the doctor's, and I read something recently about cod liver oil reversing minor cavities in teeth. But you may want to validate that yourself as I can't remember where I read it (and I'm hoping I never dreamt it?!!)

FennyBridges Sun 19-Jul-15 07:22:01

The dose for the Seven Seas medicine is two 5ml measures for over 3s. I gave my son one 5ml dose from 2 years 3 months onwards. I know that sounds exact but it coincided with potty training. I bought it because I'd noticed how healthy I felt after taking it myself. I buy myself the high strength Asda ones, 1000mg a day and you can get two pots for £5 - 180 tablets. The medicine is more expensive but worth it.

damnitdamnit Sun 19-Jul-15 07:30:30

Someone recommended thuja to me for a similar thing.

Magicpinkshadow Sun 19-Jul-15 08:20:57

Sounds like a course of Acidophilus would be good, it puts the good bacteria back in the gut that gets depleted from illness and antibiotics. I get mine from bio care online as they do it for children although Holland and barrett may also sell it. Its usually only needed as a months course.

MigGril Sun 19-Jul-15 08:30:48

When you say your really through with hygiene what do you mean by this. Good hands washing is very important off course. But we managenever to get sick bugs in this house and you will not find a single antibacterial cleaning product in my house. Good old fashioned soap only

MigGril Sun 19-Jul-15 08:38:20

A good alround cleaning product, and I will bleach if someone is sick. But it its rare and normally they are sick with a high temperature from a cold rather then a tummy bug. But I agree with a good probiotic after illness to add back in good bacteria. I think cod liver oil is an out date idea now and from my own heath issue and reading recently I wouldn't personally use it. Or a multi vitamin as they don't do much. But a good quality vitamin D3 supplement (which is what coliver oil was used for) mite be worth looking at in children they are normally drops.

Sorry I had to split that post my phone went funny on me.

Cliffdiver Sun 19-Jul-15 08:40:55

Echinacea is good for the immune system. And those benecot (sp?) yogurt drinks.

allithwaite Sun 19-Jul-15 08:49:21

Dirt and playout side build up a propper immune system.

sometimesyouwin Mon 20-Jul-15 07:18:04

Thanks for all the replies, sound like some good tips. I'll definitely look into the supplements. We're not over the top on hygiene, I only crack open antibac wipes if someone is sick to do door handles and stuff. The kids play out in the garden in the mud, I grew up making mud pies so I don't think that's the issue. I think nursery has a lot to answer for in terms of germs but there isn't much that can be done about that. It's very difficult for them to police when people come back after sick bugs etc.
To top everything off I came down with the sick bug yesterday sad, I'm praying that's the last of stuff for a while! I just feel bad for the kids as there's no respite for them and we all miss out on days out and holidays as these things always kick off at weekends. I hope those of you on here with the same problem get a break from all the illness soon! It sucks! I thought the summer months would be easier!

insancerre Mon 20-Jul-15 07:23:44

Fresh air and playing in the dirt are the best ways to build immunity
Research has shown the children with the best immune systems are those that live on farms
Whats the nursery like? Do they get lots of opportunities to play outside in the mud and dirt? Do they have a mud kitchen?

sometimesyouwin Mon 20-Jul-15 07:34:49

The nursery is fantastic. If it's not raining then they are basically outside all the time. They have a massive outdoor area with places to dig and a fantastic mud kitchen! When the kids are at home they spend a lot of time in the garden. I think this is why I get down about it as I feel like I do everything I can to boost they're systems but the illness is still relentless.

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 20-Jul-15 08:02:26

MidGrill, I would be interested to know why you wouldn't recommend Cod liver oil and / or fish oils. Everything I have read suggests it is a good suppliments and anyone I have seen with my children (immunologists, nutritionists) recommended it as a source of vitamin A, D, EPA and DHA. If you are worried about heavy metals, krill and skate oils are alternatives.

BabyMum1 Sat 25-Jul-15 15:10:45

Optibac for children
Fermented cod liver oil from parsons
Vitamin d (all children pretty much are deficient in this country!)

Ds2 (is only 10mo) has been really bad since 2 mo and since we started the above about 3 mo ago, he gets nothing!!!! No illnesses whatsoever!
He has a problem with enlarged adenoids so it's important he doesn't get ill as it makes them worse and although his older brother (on the same regime) has had a couple of mild colds, baby didn't get anything!

Good luck!

Goldmandra Tue 28-Jul-15 00:20:28

If your DCs have come across all those bugs in such close succession and fought the lot off successfully, I'd say their immune systems were in pretty tip-top condition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now