Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

One year old, chicken pox, not getting better

(13 Posts)
TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 17-Jul-15 19:56:43

Just trying to work out if my one year old is having a normal reaction to chicken pox or if this is something else... Her spots started 12 days ago and she was really quite unwell. She caught it from her sister who had far fewer spots and recovered within a week...

One year old is completely scabby and the scabs are falling off but she still isn't herself. She's not eating all that much (but still having all her milk) and she's getting tired very easily. She's also doing several loose poos a day and has terrible nappy rash. She is prone to bad nappy rash and we have a prescribed cream from the GP which is helping.

Has anyone else had DC with a similar reaction to the pox or is this something else I should be worried about??

smokeybandit Fri 17-Jul-15 20:55:04

Just remember they all react differently. My two had it this year and both completely different reactions. One with a fair amount of spots but lasted about a week and a half with a mild temperature, and the other took about three weeks to scab properly and was covered and unwell for most of that time! Does she have any in her mouth maybe? That might be why she's off food but ok with milk. Can't comment about the loose stools but doc told me skin conditions can worsen with chicken pox.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 17-Jul-15 21:23:55

Thanks for this. My elder DD definitely had them in her mouth because she showed me but I hasn't really considered that the baby could do too. I had just assumed that as the spots were healing "normally" that she should be feeling better. Three weeks is a long time, your poor DC sad

TheBakeryQueen Fri 17-Jul-15 21:28:22

Definitely a trip to the doctors as she is so little. Could any of her spots have become infected?

hazeyjane Fri 17-Jul-15 21:35:37

I would see a Dr. sometimes spots can be infected and it is difficult to tell from the way they look.

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 17-Jul-15 21:37:08

I don't think any are infected (at least not visibly so and she no longer has a temp), I have checked her over quite carefully but she had hundreds of spots. I'm tempted to give it till Monday as it will be 2 weeks then and take her to the GP if she's no better.

smokeybandit Fri 17-Jul-15 22:38:23

TMNT, how long has she been having loose stools? If more is coming out than going in you don't want her to get dehydrated being so small - I think personally, I would probably see a doc if it was 48 hrs or more, what with the getting tired easily as well.

colleysmill Fri 17-Jul-15 22:45:10

Ds2 had it at 8 months and ended up on antibiotics for infected spots in his throat. I took him to the gp because he was so unsettled with it and had terrible breath. It took a lot longer for him to recover (and after all that he still had it again 8 months later)

Without wishing to scaremonger occasionally chicken pox can be really nasty for a small percentage of children so if you aren't happy get her checked out

Hellionsitem2 Fri 17-Jul-15 22:47:48

Watch for redness around the spots

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 17-Jul-15 23:12:30

Ok thanks all. I will see how she's doing in the morning and go from there. I am quote worried about her!

bumbleymummy Sat 18-Jul-15 19:27:34

How is she today?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 18-Jul-15 20:42:38

Thanks for asking smile

I spoke to the out of hours GP this morning at great length. She was pretty sure that DD has just picked up another bug and not related to the chicken pox at all. She said that they would want to investigate further if she still has a runny bum after 7 days, which would be Monday.

She was eating more today but still a number of gruesome nappies and tired all of the time so we are keeping a close eye on her.

DrWhooves Sat 18-Jul-15 22:37:26

My 4 year old had terrible diarrhoea with chicken pox a few months ago. The spots themselves didn't really bother her but her stomach was terribly upset for a few days, it couldn't have been a tummy bug as obviously she was in quarantine and has no siblings to pass anything else on. It went away after a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now