Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

lumps and low neutrophils

(7 Posts)
smokeybandit Tue 14-Jul-15 20:13:33

Hi all,
I'm new here, and wondering if anyone can offer any advice on whether I'm worrying over something or nothing?
My ds noticed a lump on the side of his neck and one on the back of his head on one of those pointy bits at the base of the skull, a "while" before he had chicken pox a couple of months ago but didn't tell me at the time. The chicken pox are long gone and he had it very mild (vague temperature for a couple of days and then a good number of spots but all dry within 2 weeks). There's nothing else wrong with him that we can really pinpoint so I took him to the gp and they ordered a cbc and fbc blood test. They also gave him a week of antibiotics. It's taken 3 weeks to get the blood test results (problems galore at the docs) and in the meantime the lumps are still the same. The gp said his results were ok but looked puzzled and said the neutrophils were very low. He's ordered another test for next week to compare tests a month apart and did a more thorough examination of ds. He asked if he'd been feeling unwell, had night sweats or a fever (he hasn't), and to come back if he does. He also said he isn't anemic. I'm not really sure what to make of it, googling is a bad habit of mine and it I didn't think too much of any of it at the time so didn't know what to ask. I wasn't given a copy of the blood tests and didn't think to ask for one, not sure if I should have? The new blood test request is two of the same test, with clinical info written as "neutrophils 1.9". Does anyone have any ideas on this?

MrsDeVere Tue 14-Jul-15 21:52:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

smokeybandit Tue 14-Jul-15 22:58:34

Thank you MrsDeVere, he did have a fair few on his head, I just imagined the cp 'side effects ' would have gone now but could be that.
I just wish he'd told me when he noticed the lumps so we would definitely know when they started but he said they didn't hurt so he didn't think about it.
Weirdly, the lack of other symptoms to pin it to is the annoying part!

MrsDeVere Tue 14-Jul-15 23:08:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 14-Jul-15 23:12:44

Some viral infections can make your neutrophil count transiently low, your GP sounds rightly sensible for ordering a repeat test to be sure they come back up in due course. There are several other causes of neutropenia that I imagine they'll investigate if things don't improve

Icantstopeatinglol Tue 14-Jul-15 23:18:49

I agree with pp, low neutrophils could be down to your ds body recovering from the cp. 1.9 isn't too low but if they repeat they'll be checking to see if the levels are going in the right direction. I'm sure they will but I understand it's hard not to worry when it comes to your kids. I also get lumps/lymph node swelling when my scalp psoriasis flares up, it's a good sign that the body is reacting to something that could in theory cause an infection. I've been told it's a sign of a good immune system.
I hope all is well and his next lot of bloods reassure you flowers

smokeybandit Wed 15-Jul-15 07:49:07

Thank you guys, I appreciate the thoughts on this. My family have been mostly on the side of 'it's fine' but sometimes you're not sure if they are saying what they think they should and none of us have had any other experience with this. Glad I gave mumsnet a try smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now