Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A grey hair in 8 yr old

(14 Posts)
sparkysparkysparky Tue 14-Jul-15 16:49:41

Just the one. Do I ignore? Do I need to speak to a doc? Any ideas?

TongueBiter Tue 14-Jul-15 16:52:54

Wouldn't have thought it's anything to worry about. I find an occasional one on my 6 yr old's head! Must be the stress of living with me grin

AmazonsForEver Tue 14-Jul-15 16:55:22

I have read it can be a sign of b12 deficiency. Perhaps see GP?

sparkysparkysparky Tue 14-Jul-15 16:56:41

Thanks. I noticed my first at 16 while preparing my tresses for what would now be called a prom. Teensy bit of over dramatis ing at the time on my partgrin which might explain my initial concern.
I haven't mentioned it to dd and don't intend to.

sparkysparkysparky Tue 14-Jul-15 16:58:03

I'll reboot the minavex we all took over winter just to keep the vitamins topped up.

jenenberry Tue 14-Jul-15 17:02:53

She could be about to develop vitiligo.
Check her for pale patches.

sparkysparkysparky Tue 14-Jul-15 17:04:01

Thanks. I'll check for pale patches.

DrLego Wed 15-Jul-15 22:58:33

I'd take to doctors for bloods to check re B12 and any anaemia/ autoimmunity, also keep eye out re. pale patches but I'd still want full bloods done

PenguinVox Thu 16-Jul-15 19:46:57

I found 2 or 3 in my dd's hair (age 5). Her doctor wasn't concerned. He said it's only a worry if there's a whole patch of them.

Whereisegg Fri 17-Jul-15 11:47:16

Ds 8 has quite a few, it never occurred to me to be concerned tbh.
I always just thought he must have a very hard life!

DrLego Fri 17-Jul-15 14:39:36

it's probably nothing but there are a couple of pathologies it may be so personally would get checked out although I realise it can be hard to approach for a non urgent matter & mostly GPs will reassure and send away,but bloods etc can help to reassure. May also be nutritional or enzyme -deficiency related, or simply one of those things.
(I am unfortunately very dark haired and I got my first white hair at 20..eek)

DrLego Fri 17-Jul-15 14:41:04

so if no other signs, it's unlikely to be pathologic but it could be hence earlier remark but please don't worry it's far more likely not to be

jeee Fri 17-Jul-15 14:54:22

I found my first grey hair at 9, and by 13/14 was quite grey behind my ears. At 20 I realised I no longer had any grey hairs. FWIW, I think my grey hairs coincided with the start of puberty.

I started finding grey hairs again in my mid-20s, but have also found out that pregnancy clears up my grey - though dying my hair is generally less stressful.

sparkysparkysparky Fri 17-Jul-15 15:09:26

Thanks everyone. Plenty of food for thought. I intend to keep my eyes open for skin patches of white. I knew about vitiligo <from one of the contestants on America's Next Top Model> but never connected it with greying hair. I'll top up vitamins with Minavex.
I'm not keen to put dd through blood tests at this stage but will keep an open mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now