Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would it be ok to stop antibiotics early under these circumstances?

(7 Posts)
ARunOfThings Mon 13-Jul-15 22:23:52

DS is 11 months, and had bad eczema. Last Friday I took him to the GP because it seemed infected. GP confirmed that it was infected, and prescribed Flucloxicillin 4 doses daily, for a week. So he should be on them until (including) Thursday of this week (it is now Monday evening).

Couple of problems, though. Firstly, the stuff tastes horrible, and it's really difficult to get it into him. Every dose is a struggle, and it seems to be really distressing him. He's now suspicious of anything we try to put in his mouth. Secondly, it has caused lots of really runny nappies - 4 today alone. He generally seems to feel unwell, though obviously it's hard to tell - but he seems tired, crying a lot, not eating etc.

I'm normally very careful to finish the full course of antibiotics, because I know it's important. However, I'm very tempted to stop them after tomorrow (so 5 days instead of 7). The infection looks to have cleared up pretty much completely.

Would it be really bad to stop the course early?

Nospringflower Mon 13-Jul-15 22:32:17

It would be bad to stop. The whole thing is that if you haven't killed the bug completely it will be strengthened and you can build resistance for the future so you really need to complete the course. It does sound difficult tho
but even I, who never does anything properly, do my best with ABs.

AlpacaMyBags Mon 13-Jul-15 22:33:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 13-Jul-15 22:35:06

Yes, it would for the reasons stated above. Please finish the course.

The side effects are unpleasant that's for sure, but the alternative (more resistant bugs) is worse. Use plenty of barrier cream on his bottom.

FretYeNotAllIsShiny Mon 13-Jul-15 22:40:34

If you think the antibiotics are making him ill, take him back to the GP. They may put him on something else, or advise you what to do. Is it possible that he's come down with a bug whilst he's been on them?

I sympathise, I'm on amoxycillin and have got a dodgy belly with it, and I remember some truly horrendous nappies from my kids when taking it.

ARunOfThings Mon 13-Jul-15 22:40:36

OK! Probiotic yogurts is a good idea - any specific ones that are good/bad, or do I just look for children's ones?

totallybewildered Mon 13-Jul-15 22:45:12

Absolutely you must not stop the antibiotics, without medical control. It would be extremely dangerous. You would be contributing to the hastening of the complete loss of that antibiotic as a weapon against infection, for the rest of the human race.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now