Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MRI Scan for baby

(5 Posts)
Twistedheartache Mon 13-Jul-15 21:25:45

Any experiences?
Dd2 has to have an Mri scan. She's 8 months old so has to be sedated.
She can't have anything to eat after 2am or any water after 6am & we have to wake up crazy early & travel into town to Hospital

Tinymrscollings Mon 13-Jul-15 21:49:00

Yes, my son had one at 10 months. It's tough going. We got him up and fed him a breakfast and a bottle before we went to bed the night before and then got him out of bed at the last possible moment to travel to the hospital. We were relatively lucky in that no one else turned up for their appointment so he was down before 10am.

I hope it goes well for you and your daughter, OP. We found that he bounced back from
The anaesthetic very quickly and was his old self again as soon as he's had milk and toast.

elliejjtiny Sat 18-Jul-15 14:52:52

DS2 had one at 12 months and DS4 has had 3, one as a newborn, one aged 5 months and one aged 20 months. DS4 has also had several other GA's for similar things. DS2's one was under GA, DS4's first 2 were awake (he was young enough to be swaddled and stay still) and the 3rd was under GA. At our hospital they do it in age order so most likely your DD will be first. You have to fill in a questionnaire, many of the questions will be a bit silly for an 8 month old like is she pregnant or does she have any shrapnel etc. Make sure her clothes don't have poppers or other metal. Make sure you bring a really good book as the waiting while they are under anaesthetic is the worst bit. Also food for them for afterwards, DS4 is always starving.

AmandaTanen Sat 18-Jul-15 19:00:45

My 6 month old has just had an MRI, she is quite small though and got her last feed at 10 am for her MRI at 2pm, she was starving by 1pm, that hour was awful compared to the rest of the procedure.

AmandaTanen Sat 18-Jul-15 19:01:47

Ps we fed as soon as she was out of the scan, and were allowed home after an hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now