Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

A&E or not? Need a quick opinion

(21 Posts)
DawnRaid Mon 13-Jul-15 16:11:08

DD fell over last week and managed to crack the nail/damage the nail bed on her big toe. A lot of blood, very sore. We took her to the walk in clinic and they dressed it, said it didn't look serious and to come back in a few days if it didn't seem to be a bit better - all seemed fine. Have re-dressed it a few times and it looks sore, but healing

Yesterday she banged it again, just slightly, on the stairs (grrr) and it started to bleed. We re-dressed it and she seemed OK. But by late last night she was in agony, couldn't sleep and was crying her eyes out. I looked at the toe and it had swollen to twice its size and was deep purple. Took her to A&E as the OOH was closed at that time, they said she has a tiny fracture in the toe and although blood tests showed no infection, they prescribed antibiotics and she was sent home.

She has been off today and is very poorly. She has had three doses of the antibiotics so far and paracetomol/ibruprofen, but she is running a temperature, has a headache and the toe looks vile. A deep band of puss has formed around the root of the nail and it is swollen and shiny.

Should I take her back to A&E? OOH don't open until 6.30pm, no doctors appts available. 111 advised A&E last night, but not sure if we should wait for OOH today?

chillichoclove Mon 13-Jul-15 16:12:12

Yes a&e for review

Theboxtrollsareallowed Mon 13-Jul-15 16:13:21

I would go back -

QueenOfCats Mon 13-Jul-15 16:13:59

Yes, take her straight back.

Hope she's better soon

Cynara Mon 13-Jul-15 16:14:42

If OOH open at 6.30 tonight, you might get seen there quicker than in A&E. If they're busy you could be in the waiting room for hours. Could you get her to sit with her foot above the level of her heart, put something cold on it from the freezer, and try to distract her (film, book, game etc)?

MigGril Mon 13-Jul-15 16:15:13

From what you've described I'd take her back.

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Mon 13-Jul-15 16:19:26

It sounds like she had an open fracture which is why they gave antibiotics (a wound in the skin overlying a fractured bone). An infected open fracture can sometimes be bad news so yes, straight back to A&E and pack a few essentials she'll need in case she has to stay in for IV antibiotics

Stillwishihadabs Mon 13-Jul-15 16:20:45

Yes I am a Dr straight to A&E with this it could be serious -sorry flowers

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 13-Jul-15 16:21:24

Aww poor love, another vote for A&E if you're already not on your way.

good luck thanks

twofalls Mon 13-Jul-15 16:21:47

Agree a&e. Poor thing. Hope you are seen quickly.

Superworm Mon 13-Jul-15 16:29:46

Go back to A&E asap - out of hours will just send you there anyway. Sounds like she might need IV antibiotics.

SophiePendragon Mon 13-Jul-15 16:39:09

Gosh yes don't hang about. Systemic infection signs (headache and temp) she could get very poorly very quickly.

So sorry to hear this and please take care x

spiderlight Mon 13-Jul-15 16:42:36

Ouch, yes - go back asap!

FanOfHermione Mon 13-Jul-15 16:45:05

YES!!!
Go back to A&E asap. It getting very infected and clearly the ABs aren't working.
Is he walking centre still open around where you live? Maybe that first then A&E bt she needs to be seen today.

DawnRaid Mon 13-Jul-15 16:47:59

Thanks all. I have had to go and pick up my younger child, but my mum has taken her to A&E and am going to meet them there!

Thank you for reassuring me it was the right thing to do! I was in a bit of a tizz as it just seemed to get so much worse so quickly.

xx

SophiePendragon Mon 13-Jul-15 16:54:40

Good luck, so glad you have it in hand - let us know how she is when/if you feel like it and get a moment.

Poor lass. We have all been rabbits in headlights about stuff like this. xx

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Mon 13-Jul-15 17:16:52

Good to hear Dawn hope your DD gets sorted thanks

Superworm Tue 14-Jul-15 07:41:13

Hope your DD is feeling better this morning op.

Nannylookingforafamily Tue 14-Jul-15 08:08:40

How is your daughter,?

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 14-Jul-15 17:43:40

I've been thinking about you today, I hope your daughter is ok

WienerDiva Tue 14-Jul-15 17:46:15

Poor girly, hope she is feeling less sore soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now