Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pregnant and just had new carpet fitted

(9 Posts)
krenberry80 Sat 11-Jul-15 07:41:17

hi I'm 15 weeks pregnant and we just had a new carpet in our bedroom landing and stairs 6 days ago..since after the carpet was fitted I wasn't feeling too good at all woke up full of cold and feeling like I'm having flu which I'm still having up to now..thought it was a flu but then yesterday we realised that it could be from the new carpet and I read about new carpet fitted online and I found out that it could be harmful for pregnant and the unborn baby because of the volatile chemicals coming from the carpet..has anyone here experienced this please?? Thank you

SeahorseSid Sat 11-Jul-15 07:47:38

I would imagine you have a cold; I can't imagine volatiles coming off a carpet would give cold symptoms, more like a headache? Where did you read they could be harmful?
If you are worried, open the windows to give it all a good airing. But I really doubt there is any problem at all, carpets are designed to be laid in people's houses, which includes babies and pregnant people. If a product is dangerous by inhalation they have to tell you that (eg on the packaging of solvents)

SeahorseSid Sat 11-Jul-15 07:48:06

Hope you feel better soon smile

krenberry80 Sat 11-Jul-15 08:37:51

Hi thank you..I read it on google as thought I should do some research as I've been having this cold for six days now and I don't feel any better at all..woke up every morning full of cold and keep on sneezing so I thought it could be some sort of allergy and maybe not flu and that's what I found out when I read something about newly fitted carpet that it is releasing toxic volatile organic compound that can cause headache nausea and irritation to eyes nose and throat although I'm not really sure if this cold is from the new carpet or from the weather just thinking of all the possibilities, don't like feeling ill when pregnant and don't like taking tablets too.

TattieHowkerz Sat 11-Jul-15 08:40:54

Is this information from a reputable source?

Keep in mind anyone can say anything on the internet. I could set up a website saying carpets causes cancer. It wouldn't make it true. As said up thread, carpets are made to be laid in houses.

Seems more likely a cold or an allergic reaction. Could you stay out the house for a day and see if that makes a difference?

MarchLikeAnAnt Sat 11-Jul-15 08:49:50

Open your windows and give the carpet a good vacuuming. I fitted carpets by myself when pregnant and I never had any problems.

krenberry80 Sat 11-Jul-15 08:53:59

I read it on a certain greenspace carpeting by Dr mercola..yes I've been out all day yesterday and went to the sea front to have some fresh air but still feeling the same and woke up this morning again sneezing and full of cold..I even slept in the other room to avoid the new carpet in our bedroom but still the same..thinking of going to the doctor on Monday as being ill makes me worried about my developing baby

TattieHowkerz Sat 11-Jul-15 08:57:59

That is a site trying to sell their overpriced products and lifestyle crap. The article is unscientific though uses out of context quotes to give it an air of academic legitimacy. Ignore it.

The fact that you don't get better away from the carpet should give reassurance that the carpet is unlikely to be the cause of your symptoms.

krenberry80 Sat 11-Jul-15 09:15:23

Thank you everyone for your comments..gives me peace of mind now as was being paranoid thinking of the different possible effects that can harm my baby..much appreciated everyone thank you very much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now