Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3yr old DD constantly feeling urge to wee and then struggling. NOT an UTI -- help!

(3 Posts)
wrapsuperstar Fri 10-Jul-15 19:31:33

Poor DD, who is 3.5, has been having this problem for a couple of weeks now but it seems to have been getting worse in the last 3-4 days.

Basically, she is getting the urge to wee a LOT -- it could be a dozen times within an hour -- but when she goes she really struggles to pass urine. She often gets very frustrated and upset when this happens and passing a small dribble seems to give her relief, but only temporarily.

She has had two urine samples dipped and one sent off for testing and all have come back clear. Latest visit to GP left us with a prescription for anti fungal cream, but this was without an examination. She has no signs of thrush and doesn't seem itchy or uncomfortable except when she feels she 'needs' a wee. We're now on day 3 of using the cream and have seen no improvement.

I am utterly desperate to help her. She's been happily toilet trained for yonks and is a totally healthy and bright little girl. This has come out of nowhere. We will be seeing the GP again urgently but they've not been helpful so far. Can anyone advise?

princessvikki Fri 10-Jul-15 22:01:34

Not much advice, except trying cranberry juice it helps with all sorts of water related things. It sounds like cystitis but I have no idea if that's even possible at her age

trixgus Fri 10-Jul-15 23:13:35

I had this with my DD for weeks, finally in desperation treated for worms as had heard they can get in the bladder. She was better within 24 hours so would give that a go; if its not worms a tablet of mebendazole will do no harm.

I cannot remember the name now but there is also a condition in young children where this urinary frequency occurs- overactive bladder syndrome I think. Ask your GP about this if mebendazole doesn't do the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now