Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Birthday party and chiken pox, what would you do??

(18 Posts)
neshi Wed 08-Jul-15 12:50:17

DS birthday party planned for this Sunday...chicken pox started Monday!! Talk about great timing!!!!

GP says is ok, not to cancel party has contagious period would have passed by then. Husband wants to call it off....what would you do??

I thought about sending a message to all parents letting them know Ds is with chiken pox and also letting them know what the gp has said and then leave it up to them to decide, does this sound reasonable?

I risk not having any guests and having a flop of a party....
Would you take your kid to the party in this situation?

Thanks for any help!

Buttercup27 Wed 08-Jul-15 12:51:30

He should be fine . He will be all scabbard over by Friday.
Your gp says go for it so I would

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 08-Jul-15 12:52:36

I'd bring mine. Dds spots lasted weeks. The text message sounds good. and you have the word of the Dr so....

broadbeanstew Wed 08-Jul-15 12:53:53

How many kids? Is it a party at home? This happened to a friend of DD's. The mum texted all the parties explaining what had happened. Most people went anyway as they had already had chicken pox. If it's somewhere else, like soft play etc, they might get a bit funny if a child clearly has chicken pox. I thought they were still contagious until the last spot had scabbed over?

broadbeanstew Wed 08-Jul-15 12:55:06

*parties = parents!

neshi Wed 08-Jul-15 12:55:35

I'm having 30 kids in a soft play centre...

Blowninonabreeze Wed 08-Jul-15 12:57:47

Do you have other children?
As an attendee, I'd be unconcerned about your DS, who is likely to have passed through the contagious period, but if he has a previously uninfected sibling, they're likely to be contagious

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Wed 08-Jul-15 12:58:58

Yes email. We've literally just had the same thing happen, about 25% of the invitees didn't come but the rest did and no one caught it but I'm glad I put the responsibily on the other parents to decide. Definitely include that you've spoken to your go, but I'd email.

it also took longer than 5 days for the spots to be scabbed over, closer to 7 days for the last ones to be scabby...

broadbeanstew Wed 08-Jul-15 13:01:34

I think you need to call the soft play centre first as they'll be mixing with younger children, pregnant women etc. They might suggest you postpone.

neshi Wed 08-Jul-15 13:04:49

It will be private party on the soft play, so only the invited people will be there at the time, we're not mixing with other children or adults...

lovelychops Wed 08-Jul-15 13:05:36

Think you should definitely tell the sift play centre at the very least.

hazeyjane Wed 08-Jul-15 13:06:35

If the spots aren't all scabbed over, then he will still be contagious. They will most likely have scabbed over by the party - but there is a chance they won't have done, so I would email the parents and just warn them that the party may be postponed.

hazeyjane Wed 08-Jul-15 13:07:26

If he hasn't scabbed over, you will need to inform the soft play, because of members of staff who could be pregnant, not had chicken pox or have lowered immunity.

addictedtosugar Wed 08-Jul-15 13:11:51

I think the current NHS guidance is 5 days after spots appear to return to school, so I'd think soft play would be the same. Check the NHS website.

Be prepared for lots of no shows, as CP goes round the rest of his friends.

hazeyjane Wed 08-Jul-15 13:17:03

If you have chickenpox, stay off work and at home until you're no longer infectious, which is until the last blister has burst and crusted over. This usually happens five or six days after the rash begins.

From the NHS website.

For some reason the HPA school recommendation is 5 days after first spot - but this is the only place that says this, and I know that ds's paed said he couldn't understand why the advice was different to everyone else!

neshi Wed 08-Jul-15 13:23:48

Hazeyjane, thanks. Ds's first blister was possibly Sunday if not Monday for sure, so Friday makes 5 days...party is on Sunday.
I'm thinking text or email everyone and make a last decision on Friday evening/Saturday morning if I think he still has uncrusted blisters....

Blazing88 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:27:46

Depends how bad he is.

My son had 300 odd spots. Definitely was not scabbed over by the end of the week, and was still poorly

Plus echo comment about any siblings who could definitely be infectious!

You'll know by Saturday probably! I'd give everyone the heads up personally that you may well postpone.

RainbowInACloud Thu 09-Jul-15 16:07:31

GP here- it's not related to exposed blisters- 5 days from onset of rash is the contagious period. (Although you are contagious before blisters appear so better hope someone else isn't brewing it and your DS gets the blame!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now