Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 week old - constipation advice

(3 Posts)
Cgow Mon 06-Jul-15 11:19:29

Hi all
My little girl is 6 weeks old and I'm worried she is constipated. I breastfeed her all day but have began giving her 1 formula bottle before bedtime and then if she wakes in the night I will breastfeed, so in total she is having no more than 5 oz of formula each day. These last 2 weeks she has had no more than 4 poos and this is very unlike her! Usually it's at least 2 times a day, this didn't decrease gradually it was literally one day nothing after very regular weeks from birth.
No she really strains and gets very upset I can tell she's trying to go and after 5 mins of pushing she will pass wind that smells awful! I can't belive she can create such a smell!
I've been cycling her legs, rubbing her belly, I have also tried cool boiled water and nothing seems to help her.. Although the water did seem to ease her straining etc.
My questions are am I ok to give her the water to help (only tried once as I wasn't too sure)
And two any other advice tips or anything to help her? I don't like seeing her this way!!
Thanks all x

Iloveonionchutney Mon 06-Jul-15 11:40:46

Cooked boiled water will be fine for her, don't have any other suggestions for you at that age, but definitely try the water.

Bearcubmumma Wed 08-Jul-15 16:30:34

Too much water can be bad for them, try massaging babies belly with baby oil and lifting legs and rubbing bottom with cotton wool that has been dipped in warm water, a tip given to us by a nurse, this always used to stimulate ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now