Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this a normal heart rate for a 3yo?

(4 Posts)
ChuckyDuck Sun 28-Jun-15 00:44:28

My daughter has quite severe asthma so I have a pulse oximeter to use at home. I'm a little concerned as whenever I check her o2 levels the alarm always sounds for her heart rate even when she's sleeping, I've never seen it below 120bpm, its usually around 130-160 although it can go up to 200 at times.

I know ventolin etc does increase the heart rate so do these stats seem normal? I have anxiety when it comes to DDs health due to her asthma and find it hard to decide when I'm worrying too much. Obviously I will mention it at her next review. Thanks.

Spamminit Sun 28-Jun-15 00:50:38

Hi, it wouldn't hurt to ask your GP for advice and provide the readings and if it is after medication etc. 200 bpm is high, but I feel a GPs view and reassurance would put your mind at rest. smile

KeepPloddingOn Sun 28-Jun-15 00:56:31

Children have a higher resting heart rate.
Babies heart rate is normally 120-165bpm.
I'm not sure at what age this normalises to the 60-80bpm of an 'adult' which is what your oximeter is likely to be calibrated to.

obviously ask your GP but 120-160 redting is probably normal. 200 may be an issue.

OhEmGeee Sun 28-Jun-15 22:21:46

That is quite high, especially if she's asleep. 200 is extremely high, even for a baby. Is it connected properly? Good signal? I would see your GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now