Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My DS is incredibly sensitive to sugar. Is this cause for concern or normal?

(4 Posts)
ovumahead Fri 26-Jun-15 06:44:59

My DS who is 7 goes absolutely bonkers in a horrible way after he eats sugary food. Especially processed sugar eg sweets,cakes etc. He becomes really narky, grumpy, rude etc. We notice that if he exercises afterwards he's much better.

Obviously we try to avoid sugar as much as possible but it isn't always possible especially as he's at school.

I've recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and it's really made me think about sugar in all its guises, as well as noticing just how easy it is to eat too much of it.

Does this kind of sugar sensitivity in a child ring any alarm bells for anyone? Should I be concerned or is this just what sugar does to people?!

I guess I'm starting to wonder if I had undiagnosed GD with my son and whether this has primed him for sugar sensitivity and possibly even diabetes.

I'll book a GP appointment for him today to discuss but just wondering if you wise mumsnetters have any thoughts or advice?

ovumahead Fri 26-Jun-15 13:44:36

Anyone...?

GobblersKnob Fri 26-Jun-15 13:48:22

Sugar affects me terribly, and is a massive catalyst for my (diagnosed) depression. Some people are very sensitive to sugar, this is a good book to read, and was how I gave up sugar.

ovumahead Fri 26-Jun-15 18:04:30

That looks really interesting, thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now