Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd is throwing up even water and has a temperature. How long before gp?

(14 Posts)
Mummytogoldie Thu 25-Jun-15 00:02:10

Dd who is 5 started being sick this morning. She hasent eaten all day and is now throwing up even sips of water. She also has a temp of around 38.5 but just throws the calpol up. How long before seeking medical advice?

holeinmyheart Thu 25-Jun-15 00:25:11

You know your child. I would say straight away as they can go down hill fast. No GP minds coming out for a child.

BrokenByA3YearOld Thu 25-Jun-15 00:27:20

yes, ring your out of hours GP, they can advise.

KatharineClifton Thu 25-Jun-15 00:28:44

Calpol Melts are great for temp with sickness. Used to use them for my DD for her tonsils before she had them out.

FannyFifer Thu 25-Jun-15 00:29:53

I wld say ring NHS 24 for advice, poor wee thing has my sympathies having just spent 24 hours with my head down the loo.

KatharineClifton Thu 25-Jun-15 00:30:38

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/treating-high-temperature-children.aspx#close

CalmYoBadSelf Thu 25-Jun-15 00:31:17

Does this help? I would go on whether she seems "ill" in herself, go with your instinct

Keep giving her sips of tepid water. She will be keeping some of it down even if it doesn't seem like it

xmaslisa Thu 25-Jun-15 00:43:07

Put a fan on her and strip her off to vest and pants, calpol melts or paracetamol suppositories if she's not keeping anything down. Small sips of water/dioralyte every 10-15 mins. If you're at all worried call 111

Mummytogoldie Thu 25-Jun-15 01:36:44

I have rang 111 as her temp is now 39.1 they just said keep offering drinks and try calpol again - everything I already know. Will keep checking her hourly through the night and then go to gp tomorrow if no better. I am concerned as she was playing in mud at school yesterday and picking up worms and slugs and snails (she is a tomboy) so concerned she has picked up something from the mud. She has just had 2 more sips of water so will see of she keeps that down.

FannyFifer Thu 25-Jun-15 10:30:16

How's she doing this morning?

WorthMoreThanThat Fri 26-Jun-15 07:36:50

Ds1 5 has had sickness and diarrhoea since Tuesday and still going, out of hours have told me unless it gets to a week just keep offering water, he's so sad hmm

ProbablyMe Fri 26-Jun-15 07:50:35

I definitely wouldn't leave it a week - especially as the weather is getting warmer which will increase fluid requirements anyway. Try offering ice lollies? Cooling and a source of hydration. Also wipe over uncovered skin with a damp flannel. Sucking water from a piece of sponge can be easier too.

Mummytogoldie Fri 26-Jun-15 19:23:46

A week that's a long time! Dd hasent diahorrhea just sickness and the temp, she has managed to keep down a few ice cubes today and is now just bourking instead of throwing up so hopefully starting to recover . She is miserable to worthmorethanthat as she is hungry but just throws the food up, she has just cried as her big sister came in with a McDonald's sad hope your lo starts to improve soon

clux73 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:24:31

We ended up in A&E with a sick bug on Tuesday. There is a very nasty one doing the rounds - vomitting but no diarrhoea. My DD couldn't keep down water. After 2 hours of syringing in 5ml of ribena every 5 minutes she was much better. Since then she's been pale and not hungry but hadn't been sick again.

However, she has vomited again tonight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now