Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hayfever in young children

(5 Posts)
TheCrannog Tue 23-Jun-15 22:39:15

3 year old DS is suffering badly with hayfever. Didn't think it was such a problem in kids this young but he's miserable.

His swollen puffy eyes are bothering him the most and he's not sleeping at all well. Been giving him loratadine (Boots childrens version) and Opticron eye drops but I don't think they're doing much for him. I know not all antihistamines work on me so not too surprised.

Is it worth a trip to GP? Has anyone been prescribed anything more effective for a small child?

MegBusset Tue 23-Jun-15 22:44:25

I've found cetirizine (Benadryl) to be the most effective. You can use it over 2yo I think, you can get it OTC but obviously getting it on prescription will save money. And you can keep using the eye drops.

lostscot Wed 24-Jun-15 07:29:34

My Ds has nose spray, eye drops and cetrazine all on prescription, he's 7 and this is the worst he's ever been! Def worth asking doctor.

TheCrannog Wed 24-Jun-15 21:01:31

Thanks. Managed to get docs appt this morning and got some piriton for night time and better eye drops so fingers crossed. Will also try cetirizine if things don't get better.

JammyGeorge Wed 24-Jun-15 21:10:33

I second the Benadryl my ds1 (5) gets it very bad - his eye swelled that much on Saturday that it virtually closed up.

We use antihistamine and anti allergy eye drops and can get it in check after a few hours.

The gp did tell me that during the hay fever season we should give him the antihistamine morning and night even if his eyes weren't puffy that day.

You have my sympathy it's the pits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now