Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Virus causing headache and temp? 8yo

(6 Posts)
SophieHatters Tue 23-Jun-15 14:36:49

Ds is 8 and has had an intermittent headache which is quite bad, he says, for a couple of days. He also had a temperature for a day or so, that's mainly gone. (only up to about 38)

He says his throat hurts to swallow as well but it isn't that bad.

I'm thinking it's a virus of some kind but they haven't had anything causing headaches before, so just thought I'd better check in case I need to worry about it - could it be anything else?

FarelyKnuts Tue 23-Jun-15 14:42:46

My 5yo DD had what sounds like the same last weekend for 3 days. Higher temps but the same thing with headaches and sore throat. Eased off by day 4 and is just a bit tired like you ate after a viral infection now. Q

SaulGood Tue 23-Jun-15 14:46:43

The headache is usually a side effect of the fever according to my GP.

SophieHatters Tue 23-Jun-15 14:54:20

Ahh thank you, I'm glad it is probably just that - he isn't really hot any more, just a bit tired and weary.

Will see how it goes.

SaulGood Tue 23-Jun-15 16:59:02

Hope he's better soon. My 8yo when she gets a mild virus (which has more pronounced symptoms in her 3yo brother with his less efficient immune system) often complains of a headache, a slight sore throat and has a fever. That's often it for her now. Years ago when she was a toddler/pre-schooler/young primary age it used to be acres of snot and ear pain and hacking coughs. Of course that still happens on occasion but I think she gets things more mildly now.

I wonder if it's just a sign of her growing up. I no longer get awful colds when the dc do, just mild aches, bit of a headache, feeling under the weather. Perhaps it's the same thing.

Or it's just a mild virus, his immune system has kicked in and the fever has left him feeling a bit wiped out.

Whatever it is, here's to it sodding off very soon. grin

DeeWe Tue 23-Jun-15 20:29:20

Ds (also 8yo) came home from school retired to bed and has slept mostly since school. He has a mild temperature (around 38+) and says his head hurts and he feels sick when he wakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now