Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

So, my 3 year old has been asleep for 19 hours now...

(19 Posts)
Tory79 Mon 22-Jun-15 13:56:25

He fell asleep on the sofa at 630 last night. It was a busy weekend. He seemed a bit off his food but no other symptoms.
I put him to bed thinking he was just very tired. About 2am he woke up crying with a temp and a leaky nappy so I brought him in to bed with me. He's still in my bed.
Ive stirred him a couple of times for cal pol and water and a nappy change. He seemed ok just drowsy when awake. His temp last time I took it was 38.2, although he's definitely been hotter at times. He says nothing hurts, he's just tired. He hasn't been sick or anything.

Am I best off just leaving him to sleep? Should I call the Dr?

Sirzy Mon 22-Jun-15 13:58:03

I would wake him fully now and check he is fully rousable.

Theboxtrollsareallowed Mon 22-Jun-15 13:59:27

I would wake him & check his temperature, check he is rousable - he may be just sleeping it off but would check nothing worse going on - rash/etc

Try & get some fluids in as that helps -

Tulipsinmyvase Mon 22-Jun-15 14:01:32

I agree, make sure he is fully alert. If he was mine I'd have him at the GP. A temperature indicates the body is fighting infection. He may require antibiotics. Is he passing urine ok?

Tory79 Mon 22-Jun-15 14:03:38

Yes I've changed his nappy twice today and they were both quite wet.

fiftyandfat Mon 22-Jun-15 14:06:24

There was a thread similar to this a while back.
The poster was advised to speak to GP.
The child was very unwell and was admitted to hospital.
I do think you should speak to your GP.

Does he have a rash anywhere ? You need to check all over.

Tulipsinmyvase Mon 22-Jun-15 14:14:54

I agree, you should phone GP surgery and ask to have him checked. They can have a good check at his ears & throat and maybe even do a quick urine sample to rule out infection.
Both my children were prone to temperatures at that age, it usually turned out to be a urine or ear infection.

Tory79 Mon 22-Jun-15 14:22:58

Well I went and made him wake up properly, he's now sat downstairs watching TV and eating a bag of mini cheddars..... He still says nothing hurts (except for his cheek?!) and says he feels a bit better, just tired still. I'll see what happens over the next hour or two now he's up.

No rash anywhere as far as I can see.

CinnabarRed Mon 22-Jun-15 14:27:14

The poster of that other thread fiftyandfat mentioned? Her DS ended up with permanent and severe brain damage from chickenpox. I'm really pleased your DC is OK, but do keep a careful eye on him.

BirthdayDilemma Mon 22-Jun-15 14:30:31

Part of me would be very concerned at being asleep for that length of time. There would be a tiny part that would be so pleased about all the things I could do whilst they slept (once I knew they was ok of course).

Keep an eye on them OP. I haven't yet had a 3yo so I don't know if some kids do just get that worn out or not. But seems strange to me.

Tory79 Mon 22-Jun-15 14:37:01

He's already had chicken pox so it can't be that!

He's just asked for more food so hopefully he was just sleeping something off, but I'll be watching him like a hawk over the next couple of hours.

seaoflove Mon 22-Jun-15 14:39:05

Oh my goodness Cinnabar, I remember that thread but had no idea the outcome for the little boy was so terrible sad

Glad your DS is as OK as can be expected, Tory.

ThreeQuartersEmpty Mon 22-Jun-15 14:41:59

I'd make a Dr appointment. Temperature and sore cheek could mean ear infection.
I'd keep a close eye.

MrsMcColl Mon 22-Jun-15 14:49:58

I'd be worried about dehydration, which can make little kids very sleepy and hard to rouse - but I see he's up now, eating and drinking things. Hope he's okay.

Ktmummy1 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:10:02

I would be very concerned about this. I would take to GP if lo was still sleepy. Glad to hear you're keeping a v close eye. What a worry our toddlers cause us, hope he'll be ok x

Theboxtrollsareallowed Tue 23-Jun-15 10:33:38

How is your LO today?

DeeWe Tue 23-Jun-15 20:31:52

Ds has done that a couple of times with tonsilitis. He doesn't need any medication, he just needs to sleep it off. As long as I can rouse him to sensible speech every so many hours I don't worry now.

Tory79 Wed 24-Jun-15 14:46:36

Thanks for asking boxtrolls

He's been fine ever since! They do like to worry us don't they!

Stubbed Wed 24-Jun-15 16:16:23

Glad he's ok. My step-nephew was suffering the same symptoms and he had encephalitis and continuing brain problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now