Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Very windy breastfed baby - any advice?

(3 Posts)
LMonkey Sun 21-Jun-15 21:23:12

My LO is about to turn 16 weeks and for about the last 4 weeks she has been getting terribly windy during feeds, to the point where she comes off the breast every few seconds crying, I then burp her, sometimes manage to get a burp out, sometimes not, but regardless of this she will then go back on the boob for a few seconds, suck away then the same thing will happen again. It makes feeding a complete nightmare, as I don't feel that she usually gets a decent feed and will be hungry again soon after (and she has always been a hungry baby anyway). My diet hasn't changed so I don't know why this would have suddenly happened. I get the feeling that my milk flow is very fast and maybe she takes it back too quickly. My HV suggested I express a bit before feeding but that didn't seem to make a difference. I've tried gripe water but that made her vomit and infacol I find to be very hit and miss, usually miss. It makes feeding in public rather troublesome and I spent the whole time round the in-laws today trying to feed a screaming baby - without having an entire boob on display! Weirdly her bedtime and nighttime feeds seem to be OK so that's good. Any suggestions?

PosterEh Sun 21-Jun-15 21:28:35

I think they can just go through fussy phases with feeding. Four months is particularly bad for this. You could try leaning back a bit whilst feeding to let gravity slow the flow but you might find that in a few weeks things will settle down anyway (although it felt to me like another problem would pop up the minute one was resolved).

Ktmummy1 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:16:28

My initial thoughts are either teething as my ds is struggling with feeding because of this, he seems v uncomfortable; tummy ache-has your lo done a poo today; final thought is tongue tie although seems unlikely if feeding was going well until recently. Hope it soon improves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now