Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 month old with sticky eyes-drs or wait and see?

(8 Posts)
Ekkwhine Sat 20-Jun-15 00:48:50

This afternoon my 6 month old started getting small amounts of yellow stickiness on the inner corner of one eye. No redness, soreness or anything. I've been wiping it, inner to outer corner, one wipe per pad. She's just woken for a feed and it's dried a little, opened fine with a damp wipe, but I noticed there's a slight goop in the other eye.
She's had a bit of a sore throat, it's clearing up now, but not been ill as such, no cold, temperature or anything. The eyes don't seem to be bothering her, she's not rubbing them, they don't look sore or pink, just a but sticky before wiping. So do I just continue wiping with cooled, boiled water (one wipe per pad, new pads per eye etc) or breastmilk(?) over the next day or two whilst it's not bothering her and see of it's cleared up by Monday, or is it something that needs an OOH appointment regardless? Google's throwing up conflicting advice

princessvikki Sat 20-Jun-15 13:06:13

I would go to the gp Monday if it's no better, or sooner if she starts rubbing it , babies are very prone to conjunctivitis

Hamsolo Sat 20-Jun-15 13:11:05

Are you breastfeeding? I ask because when mine had the same a friend advised squirting a little milk in her eye. I thought she was crazy, and avoided doing it for ages, but the GP didnt want to prescribe anything so in the end I did it. And the eye gunk cleared up within 24 hours. So, weird/grim as it may sound, a little bit of breastmilk is my advice!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sat 20-Jun-15 13:20:53

Pharmacists are great at helping with these sorts of questions.

zoobaby Sun 21-Jun-15 14:55:38

I've been advised the breastmilk thing too. Also using a pinch of salt in a cup of cooled boiled water. DD had this recently and they have antibiotic eye drops then took a swab when it didn't clear after a few days. It cleared while waiting for results.

Karoleann Sun 21-Jun-15 23:26:46

Its very likely to be viral, you've been doing exactly the right thing.
Anti b's won't do any good, so unless your DD has any deterioration (so increased redness, a white spot in her eye, one pupil smaller than the other, or one eyelid looking more closed than the other one) I wouldn't take her.

Essexgirlupnorth Sun 21-Jun-15 23:37:45

NHS advice is now they don't need drops and should clear up by itself so carry on what you are doing. My DD nursery insists on drops and can only get on prescription before 2 so have had a few arguments with my doctors.

Ekkwhine Tue 23-Jun-15 00:35:39

Thanks all, I meant to update.

She's fine, they're still occasionally a bit goopy, but it coincides with when she gets worked up to 'real' tears, so very infrequently.

Thankyou so much for your advice, it's sometimes hard to know what to do. On one hand you don't want to be that mother that drags them to the drs every other day demanding antibiotics for the common cold (I'm sure we all know someone!) but on the other I didn't want to the one pleading with the receptionist for an appointment as my my child had deteriorated at an alarming rate and looked like a neglectful parent! Our pharmacist isn't too good with advice on younger ones, under the age of five or six and he all but screams DOCTORS at you whilst hurrying you out of the shop.

Google results varied between leaving it for six months to blue lighting immediately to the nearest hospital if an air ambulance and resus team wasn't available with everything between from worshipping the god of opthalmology with a freshly slaughtered goat to bathing with the tears of a green haired Virgin. Ok, slight exaggeration on my part there, but you get the idea.

Again, Thankyou, it really reassured me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now