Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Tiny baby and thyroxine

(2 Posts)
parisblue Fri 19-Jun-15 15:03:59

My five-week-old, who was born prematurely and hasn't yet reached his due date, has low thyroid hormone levels and been prescribed oral thyroxine. The doctor prescribed pills rather than a solution of thyroxine because the former are apparently better absorbed; however, they have to be crushed and mixed with breastmilk. Can anyone advise how much breastmilk is necessary? Will a hand-expressed squirt do, or do I have to break out my pump as I don't hand-express easily? Any tips on spoon-feeding a tiny person? It's only one teaspoonful a day, potentially two if he possets first time, but we may be doing this for years. Advice welcome!

jwpetal Fri 19-Jun-15 15:15:20

Hi. I wouldn't think you need much breast milk. Just enough to make it easy to be swallowed. I think trial and error really.
I had other medication and found syringes the easiest particularly when mine were little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now