Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

3 yo deaf after ear infection

(6 Posts)
sleepywombat Fri 19-Jun-15 05:00:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

timetosmile Fri 19-Jun-15 05:08:39

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Glue-ear/Pages/Introduction.aspx

This is helpful, and it's a very very common problem, DS2 had it frequently as an infant school aged child and teachers were really helpful and would let him sit at the front for a week or so. I would estimate it usually lasts a couple fo weeks after a cold..the trouble is, when they keep getting coughs and colds you feel as if they are never really free of it. A good rule of thumb is to go back to your GP and request a hearing test if its still present after 2-3months..in some areas you can directly ring children's audiometry services and book him for a test yourself.

The residual fluid drains inwardly, down the natural drainage channel (thats why when you hold your nose and blow, your ears 'pop', its all connected)..that's why nothing is coming out to the outside.

DeeWe Sat 20-Jun-15 22:31:00

Takes ages to drain. If he's still showing no signs at the end of July I'd go back and ask for him to be referred to ENT. However he'll probably be fine by then.

DeeWe Sat 20-Jun-15 22:31:38

* no signs of improvement that should read.

sleepywombat Sun 21-Jun-15 08:42:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 21-Jun-15 13:37:15

Cranial osteopathy can help with this. Helps my DS when he gets ear infections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now