Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pains In My Childs Legs

(43 Posts)
j22xx Wed 17-Jun-15 16:19:45

Hi guys, i'm new here and would like some advice or see if any of you have gone through this, My 3 year old ha had pains in her legs for the last few months to the point now when they happen she cannot walk, I Took her to the doctors and he said She's being lazy not wanting to walk felt her legs everything fine, Even tho I explained she's not a lazy child and she is actually crying in pain.

A week later she's up for the night crying and in agony took her to the doctors following morning and explained to a different doctor and he has sent a referral to the hosp, but no blood tests or anything being sent for

At first I thought they were simply growing pains but they seem to be getting worse has anyone had any similar experiences ?

Thanks

PolterGoose Wed 17-Jun-15 19:20:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nevercan Wed 17-Jun-15 19:40:04

Growing pains?

PowderMum Wed 17-Jun-15 19:40:22

This may not be helpful by my friend's DS gets terrible leg pains that wake him at night is he eats/drinks food colourings.

StarOnTheTree Wed 17-Jun-15 19:50:29

The same thing happened to DD1 when she was 3 and she was diagnosed with hypermobility.

DD3 (8) has also just been diagnosed after similar pains started about 6 months ago. I recognised the signs straight away this time and the gp confirmed that she did have slight hypermobility. She's just had her first physio appointment and there is no slightly about it, she's like a floppy rag doll shock

FoylesForBooks Wed 17-Jun-15 20:42:45

DD, now 4, had/has this. Started when she was about 2. She'd just stop in the park and say her legs hurt and that we had to carry her. We thought she was being lazy or copying her grandmother who had a bad leg at the time so ignore dit. Then one day I read a real life story in a magazine about a teenager with bone cancer and it started "It began with a pain in my leg that I just ignored." I booked a GO appt immediately. She took us very seriously but also was at pains not to worry us and for us not to get stressed, but said she thought we should be checked out if they didn't disappear in six weeks, which they didn't. She was reassuring because she said it would be highly unusual to have cancer and have no other symptoms (losing weight, randomly occuring bruises etc).

Anyway, dd was checked out a few months later by a paediatrician who did a very thorough all over check. She basically said she thought dd was a very healthy child and reiterated that if it was something sinister then there would be other symptoms but she also did a blood test just in case to rule it out. All was normal.

She said she thought it was growing pains which is not an official diagnosis because it is not a recognised disease as such but that is what she thought it was. And we have noticed that they come on after dd eats a lot. So she will have a few days of eating loads and we will be able to predict that she will then have a few nights of growing pains and then a few days later we will notice she has got taller. It is that obvious.

Her pains incidentally are behind her knees and on both sides. She also, maybe coincidentally, has far less stamina walking that ds does who is two years younger than her.

We had a follow up visit with the paediatrician six months later who redid all the tests (reflexes etc) and came to same conclusion second time round.

FoylesForBooks Wed 17-Jun-15 20:43:33

OH and if we can persuade dd to have some calpol or neurone before bed on nights she has them then she goes to sleep with less fuss, but whether this is placebo, drowsiness or genuine pain relief who knows.

FoylesForBooks Wed 17-Jun-15 20:44:13

GP. Not GO. Wish there was an edit button.

Lovepancakes Wed 17-Jun-15 20:48:16

Fouled that's worried me as I've been putting DS' frequent leg pains down to growing pains but he keeps getting bruises when I could swear sometimes hasn't hurt himself (often he has too as he does jump around a lot).
I might check with the GP it's normal too . Glad for this thread as had it on my mind somehow

PolterGoose Wed 17-Jun-15 21:00:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

j22xx Wed 17-Jun-15 22:12:10

Sorry new to this what does 'w' sit mean ? X

j22xx Wed 17-Jun-15 22:14:09

also she does keep having bruises down the front of her legs but she's very clumsy so find it hard to keep track of weather she has fallen in school ect but as of today myself and school are keeping a diary of everything, do you all think I should of got a blood test done ??? The doctor didn't mention one but now I'm wondering if I should of asked for one ? x

Lovepancakes Wed 17-Jun-15 22:15:44

I love mumsnet as this just never crossed my mind and thank you - I will check as just looked it up and it makes sense a possibility as DS's legs and his run look a bit different

306235388 Wed 17-Jun-15 22:26:14

Another one whose dd had this and it's due to hypermobility

mandmsmummy Wed 17-Jun-15 22:40:43

Yes my son too, hypermobility. Need to be referred. The pain won't go away without treatment. I was fobbed off with growing pains for years. The consultant said they didn't believe growing pains existed and all leg pain should be looked at because it can be hypermobility, posture or deep tissue issues. Be strong and insist on a referral. Good luck x

mandmsmummy Wed 17-Jun-15 22:42:51

As for running I've always said my son runs like his legs are wooden. He puts lots of effort on but never seem so to go very fast or get faster.
Lots of people are hypermobile, in my day it was 'double jointed' but when it causes pain it's more likely joint hypermobility syndrome and should be looked into x

Lovepancakes Wed 17-Jun-15 22:43:16

Thank you. Still amazed as just wouldn't have remotely occurred to me!

Lovepancakes Wed 17-Jun-15 22:44:10

DS runs like his legs are slightly all over the place and stops very quickly. So no stamina and then says he's tired

minkGrundy Wed 17-Jun-15 22:45:21

Mine gets this when she has a cold. She has twice been sent for scans. All fine. But here it seems they take it quite seriously (in case of infection in the joint).
Oddly the other one is more hypermobile, like me. I used to W sit all the time. No pain though.

mandmsmummy Wed 17-Jun-15 22:58:08

lovepancakes yes mine too

minkgrundy mines worse with a cold, he's never been scanned, they could see but the way he bends

Xx

j22xx Wed 17-Jun-15 22:58:17

Thank you so much everyone will be going back to the doctors Friday morning , I know deep down this isn't right so thanks for all your messages back xx

Marmitelover55 Wed 17-Jun-15 23:03:26

My DD2 used to wake in the night crying with terrible pains in her legs. She hasn't done it recently, so think it was "growing pains" and was just a phase.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 17-Jun-15 23:07:45

omg this is so my dd as well. .i thought she was just being lazy nut a few times she's woken up crying that her legs hurt.

She's otherwise happy and healthy but isn't a very graceful walker and does have less stamina than dd2. She almost seems to stomp as she walks and she does throw her foot in so I assumed thatss probably what it was.

tinkerbellvspredator Wed 17-Jun-15 23:13:28

Just to throw another possibility in the pot, my brother had/has juvenile arthritis which gives him knee pain. Genetic risk also so when my nephew also had leg pain they did tests but found nothing said it was growing paid and DN grew out of it.

ToffeeWhirl Wed 17-Jun-15 23:23:19

My DS2 has this problem as well. I haven't taken him to the dr about it because it comes and goes (but maybe I should). For the past two nights, he's needed Calpol and a hot-water bottle to soothe the pains in his legs.

I don't really 'get' hypermobility and why it causes such problems. Can anyone provide an explanation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now